Amlogic + Netflix, 23.976fps(24p) + 24Hz GUI confusion ?
I've recently purchased a Amlogic S805 equipped ODROID-C1 and am pretty confused.

If the Android (4.4.2) GUI interface is set to 24Hz and I startup Kodi, any H264 / 23.976fps movies I play have a small video hiccup every 40 seconds or so due to the lack of perfect 23.976 video sync with my 24p TV. This is already a well known Android issue.

Now having played with Netflix a bit on a PC and pulling up the a/v codec info, I see that their video streams are also 23.976 fps.
On every other device I have with a 60Hz GUI. 23.976fps content uses the 3:2 pulldown method to display video, resulting in the usual minor video stutters when the camera pans about in a scene. A Chromecast is a prime example of this.

However it seems on this Amlogic OC1 I have. Setting the GUI to 24Hz results in the TV switching to 24p mode and then when playing any Netflix content everything is buttery smooth, no 40 second out of sync hiccups. Which is completely unexpected.

Further, brief testing of 23.976fps - H265 content played with SPMC and the latest Isengard nightly is also buttery smooth and no 40 second hiccups there either. H264 still has the issue. Isengard is naturally not that reliable tho.

Curiously the MXplayer app still has a 40 second hiccup when playing H264/265 / 23.976fps content.

Anyone able to shed some light on what is going on ?
Does the Netflix app and the H265 Amlogic hardware decoder actually have the ability to playback perfectly synced 23.976fps video to a 24p TV correctly ?
Is it that Netflix and the H265 decoder are able to access parts of the VPU/GPU that other software cannot ?

I've never seen Netflix nor H265 video look this good before on any Android device Smile

Pulling up the Codec info while a H265 video is playing shows - W(fps: 23.98 CPU...
23.98 never ever wavers from that value, so it does indeed appear perfect 24p video syncing is happening. Happy times.

If this is indeed the case, $35 Amlogic S805 Android H265 decoding SoC's are an absolute bargain for Kodi video playback going forward into the future.

That sounds really good - and very interesting.
Hopefully koying will comment your question.

SaEt9000
I'm not a dev, and I don't know what is happening and why, but I'm tempted to at least test this on my S805 device. I just have to reinstall Android back on it :)
Yeah give it a go Ned.
I suggest installing SPMC as the Kodi Isengard nightlies are not that reliable at picking up H265 files for decoding.

On my S805 ODROID-C1, SPMC or Isengard does not like starting up with a 1080p24 Android GUI plus Auto-Framerate already enabled. Or even switching refresh rates from 24Hz to say 50Hz to watch TV after start. It must be some sort of bug. 50Hz or 60Hz auto switching to 24Hz is fine.

I get some sort of weird 3D output if I have the Android GUI set to 1080p24Hz when starting up either SPMC or Isengard and have to then reboot as I've no 3D capable TV to see whats going on.

I used Android SSH server...
Auto-Framerate enable commands:

Code:
cd /sys/class/display
su
chmod 666 mode
exit

Details here:
http://spmc.semperpax.com/

Smile

(2015-04-16, 10:11)wrxtasy Wrote: I've recently purchased a Amlogic S805 equipped ODROID-C1 and am pretty confused.

If the Android (4.4.2) GUI interface is set to 24Hz and I startup Kodi, any H264 / 23.976fps movies I play have a small video hiccup every 40 seconds or so due to the lack of perfect 23.976 video sync with my 24p TV. This is already a well known Android issue.

Now having played with Netflix a bit on a PC and pulling up the a/v codec info, I see that their video streams are also 23.976 fps.
On every other device I have with a 60Hz GUI. 23.976fps content uses the 3:2 pulldown method to display video, resulting in the usual minor video stutters when the camera pans about in a scene. A Chromecast is a prime example of this.

However it seems on this Amlogic OC1 I have. Setting the GUI to 24Hz results in the TV switching to 24p mode and then when playing any Netflix content everything is buttery smooth, no 40 second out of sync hiccups. Which is completely unexpected.

Further, brief testing of 23.976fps - H265 content played with SPMC and the latest Isengard nightly is also buttery smooth and no 40 second hiccups there either. H264 still has the issue. Isengard is naturally not that reliable tho.

Curiously the MXplayer app still has a 40 second hiccup when playing H264/265 / 23.976fps content.

Anyone able to shed some light on what is going on ?
Does the Netflix app and the H265 Amlogic hardware decoder actually have the ability to playback perfectly synced 23.976fps video to a 24p TV correctly ?
Is it that Netflix and the H265 decoder are able to access parts of the VPU/GPU that other software cannot ?

I've never seen Netflix nor H265 video look this good before on any Android device Smile

Pulling up the Codec info while a H265 video is playing shows - W(fps: 23.98 CPU...
23.98 never ever wavers from that value, so it does indeed appear perfect 24p video syncing is happening. Happy times.

If this is indeed the case, $35 Amlogic S805 Android H265 decoding SoC's are an absolute bargain for Kodi video playback going forward into the future.

Is there a way to change the GUI interface as stated above for my OTT m8 box? I'm having a lot of issues with Netflix judder.
Hi, i switch my LibreElec from RasPI 3 to ODroid-C2.
The only problem i have it's: it's seems i can't switch to the 23.93Hz frequency with my ODROID-C2 (only switch to 24Hz) . It's work before with my RasPI 3.
@wrxtasy do you find a solution ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amlogic + Netflix, 23.976fps(24p) + 24Hz GUI confusion ?0