help wanted before purchasing 5.1 speaker set
Hello,

I want to buy a 5.1 speaker set for my living room. I currently have Kodi 14.2 on a HTPC with windows 8.1 os.
Due to lack of infrastructure in my home for rear speakers I thought of buying the wireless sonos system (which also have its benefits for playing music in various rooms from the same app) but I heard sonos sound bar doesn't decode DTS and neither does my TV (LG LM641Y).

My question is, should this be something to be worried about or could KODI do the decoding itself and pass it to the soundbar (or encode it again in Dolby Digital)?

The soundbar should be connected to the TV with an optical cable, while my PC is connected to the TV with HDMI.
Kodi is entirely capable of re-encoding DTS to AC3 in real time and transporting it out. Obviously you'll have some loss as it'll be a lossy to lossy re-compression scheme but you'll probably not even notice it. It sounds like 'audio purist' isn't your angle so you'd probably be okay.
Caution audio timing errors, optical, wifi, blue tooth, HDMI, when using different delivery systems at the same time from different sources.
(2015-08-06, 15:08)PatK Wrote: Caution audio timing errors, optical, wifi, blue tooth, HDMI, when using different delivery systems at the same time from different sources.
Can you explain? I have zero experience with speakers.
Sonos system is playing whatever the tv is displaying (antenna, cable, htpc) and the tv is connected with an optical cable, isnt this standard?
I am using Sonos Playbar with Sonos Sub and 2x Sonos Play 1. It is a great setup, great sound and no problems at all having it working with Kodi. It worked out of the box. You will not find any sound delays or similar since the speakers create their own wireless network. So, the speaker network to share the sound to the speakers is independent from you wireless network that you use for internet/sharing files, ... You can see my setup here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193427
(2015-08-07, 07:45)futuro Wrote: I am using Sonos Playbar with Sonos Sub and 2x Sonos Play 1. It is a great setup, great sound and no problems at all having it working with Kodi. It worked out of the box. You will not find any sound delays or similar since the speakers create their own wireless network. So, the speaker network to share the sound to the speakers is independent from you wireless network that you use for internet/sharing files, ... You can see my setup here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193427
I also use qnap Wink
So what about dts? Do you get 5.1 audio from sonos with no problem? Should you set up the audio preferences in any special way for it to work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help wanted before purchasing 5.1 speaker set0