Dolby Atmos problem, help needed for settings
Yes or no. Depends on how you understand your own question.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-atmos-at-home-ears-on/

"The beauty of Atmos is it can stealthily be in your new gear, and when you want to upgrade for it all to work together, you can. Perhaps even better than that, if you want to add more speakers to make the sound even more seamless (adding, say, additional height speakers, more rear speakers, whatever) all you need to do is tell the Atmos decoder, and it will create a new mix based on your new gear. It can go from 2.0 to the current max of 24.1.10, and anywhere in between. (Yes, that's 24 speakers, a subwoofer, and 10 ceiling speakers.)

It's not even disruptive on the software front, with discs that will work with current players. There isn't even a change on the streaming front. Atmos can work via any current streaming service that uses Dolby Digital Plus.

I enjoy surround sound, but for many years, I was quite content with two excellent stereo speakers and a sub. I have 5.1 in my theater now, and after hearing the home demo at Dolby, I'm seriously considering adding some ceiling speakers. It's such an enveloping, rich surround experience that even as jaded as I am, I'm impressed by it and am looking forward to hearing more."

Soooo, i dont need additional speakers to get Dolby atmos Working (#8 !)
Perhaps the problem is this Dolby digital plus thing? I havent heard about that
By my question i mean if changing the streaming from nas / kodi to vlc / Blu Ray drive bur from the same pc, Will there be any difference?
b u m p
I thought for atmos you needed either atmos enabled speakers or dedicated height speakers
Thats what im trying to find out, but i cant find a legit link to a place where it sats that. It makes Sense, dont get me wrong, but i have a small room so no need for more speakers if i dont have to.
Hello

First i can confirm Atmos with Kodi works. I use a Denon x5200w with a 5.2.4 layout. I use the latest Kodi and my HTPC is connected via HDMI. If i play a dolby atmos movie the display of my AVR switches from Dolby Surround to Dolby Atmos. So the pass through is working.

First please do what @jjd-uk suggested. Borrow a standalone blu-ray player and a dolby atmos blu-ray and connect to your AVR. Play the blu-ray and see if the AVR switches to Dolby Atmos. So you definitely know your AVR configuration is correct. If this works you know the configuration or something else is wrong with your HTPC.

If you use your in build blu-ray drive in your HTPC you can't be sure pass through is working and maybe you will not find the error because you don't know where to search.

You have to break the chain of errors. Take one piece of the chain (the HTPC) and substitute with a 100% working player. If you don't substitute you maybe have two or more errors in the chain. The HTPC, the software, the drivers, the AVR configuration and so on.

Do you understand what @jjd-uk suggested? That's the reason why. Break the error chain.
If you unsure you need atmos speakers or not to get your AVR to display Dolby Atmos. I don't know too. I never disabled my top speakers to see if my AVR enables Dolby Atmos without speakers.

If you want to check this simple enable the dolby atmos speaker layout in your AVR and don't connect any speakers. The AVR thinks you have speakers connected and tries to use Dolby Atmos.

So you can check if you realy need Dolby Atmos speakers to decode and use Atmos.

But you really need to know the chain you use works. So first try what @jjd-uk suggested or try this first and hope your AVR switches to Dolby Atmos.
Unless I'm reading your question totally incorrectly, then yes you do need additional speakers to benefit from and play a Dolby Atmos track (Either ceiling or upward firing satellites atop your side surround speakers).

Don't see why this should be any different to other audio/speaker combinations.

If receiver fails to detect the adequate speaker combination, then it will revert to the TrueHD track.

You wouldn't expect a 2.1 speaker set-up to output at 5.1.

Sorry if I've totally misunderstood, but a 5.2 (2 subs) system just isn't going to play an Atmos track.
Thanks for all the replies.

Your Reading my questions correct. I Think the fact that i have been used to play fx DTS on a 3.1 system in a long time got me thinking that playing Dolby atmos still Would be a big lift in sound quality reguardless of the hight speakers or not.

I understand your suggestions about Breaking the chains. Im borrowing a PS 4 in next week. Before that im gonna try setting the speakers configuration to 5.2.2 and see if that Will make the avr play Dolby atmos.
The blue Dolby Atmos indicator ligths up now using kodi! (and the TrueHD sign in the display) when i configure the speaker settings to 5.1.2

I guess i now have to get some new height speakers Smile
I have the Onkyo 636 and just upgraded it to a 5.1.2 System. Now my question. @ Kodi( Openelec) are the Sound settings 7.1 or 5.1? And Kodi Tutorial says: 3.4 Setup Guide

Do i really need to disable everything?

Thanks for your help
That's only for Linux Pulseaudio API only, as it doesn't support passthrough of the HD formats hence Kodi must decode them to LPCM.

You've posted in the Windows part of the forum, so please confirm what OS you are using? if indeed Windows you should be using this as a reference http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide
Hi

Thanks yep now i saw it. I searched for Dolby Atmos and found this link. Im using Openelec so i think i search now in there Forum.

Thanks for your Feedback.
If you are using Openelec then that should be configured to use the ALSA api by default I believe, so just follow AVR HDMI (HD Audio) column in link I posted, basically with your AVR all passthrough formats should be enabled. For ATMOS the important one is to have TrueHD enabled since ATMOS is just an extension of the TrueHD format.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Atmos problem, help needed for settings0