Android AMLogic Stuttering.....went away and came back again
I'm sure everyone is going to shout at me because no doubt this question has been answered several times already but having read plenty of threads on it, I'm still not quite sure.

So anyway, I have a GBox MX2 and on installing Kodi 15.0 I could no longer play HD streams as the picture would badly stutter and the sound would be out of sync.

So I reinstalled 14.2 and all was good. Then I noticed that 15.1.1 was supposed to fix the issue so I installed that one. Tried a few HD streams and everything worked beautifully.....for about 2 hours. Now the issue has come back again and I'm back to not being able to watch HD streams.

I've tried all the workarounds with installing Universal init.d and making it change the permissions of the display mode but it doesn't seem to make any difference at all. The frame rate switching thing is enabled and I set to on Start/Stop.

I also tried Kodi 15.2 rc 1 and again the same stuttering and sync issues.

What am I missing here?

I'm a bit concerned because I've just ordered an MX III box with an Amlogic S812 in it and it's going to be a bit annoying if the same issue is there and I'm stuck on an old version of Kodi.
Same issues with same box. Would love an answer around this
See this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=232829
So on further investigation I found that Universal init.d wasn't actually running the script. I put a couple of echo statements in and nothing happened when I executed.

I had a look at the script in etc\init.d and noticed that it only had read and write permissions and not execute. So I added the execute permission on the script and now the files all seem to retain read and write permissions even after rebooting.

I will test out whether this solves all the issues in 15.1 later and if so, I will put up an exact point by point set of instructions to get it working.
Right so it seems that it is now all working. So here is the definitive guide to sorting it out (On the MX2 anyway).

First make sure the box is rooted.

Next make sure you have a decent file manager like ES File Explorer installed.

Next go to the Play Store and install Universal init.d

Next open Universal init.d and find the script called 00Start.

Delete everything in it and replace it with this:

#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 666 /sys/class/display/mode
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/axis
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/screen_mode
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/disable_video
chmod 666 /sys/class/tsync/pts_pcrscr
chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
chmod 666 /sys/class/ppmgr/ppmgr_3d_mode
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

and save it.

Next make sure that Universal init.d switch is set to on.

Open ES File Explorer and navigate to \etc\init.d

Check the properties of 00Start and if it does not have execute permissions (rwx), long press on it and select Properties from the menu and make sure Execute checkbox is checked as well as Read and Write.

Reboot the machine.

Open ES File Explorer and navigate to \sys\class\display and verify that permissions on the \sys\class\display\mode file are: rw rw rw. If they are rw rw r then something has gone wrong and Universal init.d didn't work properly.

If permissions are rw rw rw then it worked and you should be able to run HD on Kodi 15 with no stuttering.
Hi,

I have tried your sollution, but i have no luck yet. I have checked each file you chmodded but it seems it has done everything well.
I think it's maby a firmware issue. What firmware are you running and what exact build? Did you change some codecs?
I hope to hear you soon, so I can also use the latest version on my box Smile
I'm on 1.2.2 I think.

I can't see why that wouldn't have worked for you. Those chmodded files are the exact ones that Kodi does automatically for 14.2.

And I'm using 15.2 rc1 Kodi build
Wow thank you so much. I tried it with firmware 1.2 and kodi 15.2 rc1 and you have made my day!
(2015-09-11, 14:27)Dougal1709 Wrote: Right so it seems that it is now all working. So here is the definitive guide to sorting it out (On the MX2 anyway).

#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*

and save it.

Check the properties of 00Start and if it does not have execute permissions (rwx), long press on it and select Properties from the menu and make sure Execute checkbox is checked as well as Read and Write.

Reboot the machine.

Open ES File Explorer and navigate to \sys\class\display and verify that permissions on the \sys\class\display\mode file are: rw rw rw. If they are rw rw r then something has gone wrong and Universal init.d didn't work properly.

If permissions are rw rw rw then it worked and you should be able to run HD on Kodi 15 with no stuttering.

This didn't initially work for me either. Then I discovered why.

I'm using my MX2 box in the bedroom for the kids mainly and it's plugged in with RCAs on an old standard def tv. I tried your solution and every time the video would zoom out and the GUI elements would scramble. I would then have to restart the box. I decided to see if it worked on another HDTV with HDMI and bingo everything is working fine.

It used to work fine on older firmware with my older TV. Do you have any ideas on getting it to work through RCA? If not I'll just go about picking up a cheap HDTV. Good to know the box still has some life and people still wanting to help out with issues like this. A big THANK YOU for your help.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on 1.2.2 and rooted
(2015-09-13, 00:00)TheDoughboy Wrote:
(2015-09-11, 14:27)Dougal1709 Wrote: Right so it seems that it is now all working. So here is the definitive guide to sorting it out (On the MX2 anyway).

#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*

and save it.

Reboot the machine.

I'm using my MX2 box in the bedroom for the kids mainly and it's plugged in with RCAs on an old standard def tv. I tried your solution and every time the video would zoom out and the GUI elements would scramble. I would then have to restart the box. I decided to see if it worked on another HDTV with HDMI and bingo everything is working fine.

It used to work fine on older firmware with my older TV. Do you have any ideas on getting it to work through RCA? If not I'll just go about picking up a cheap HDTV. Good to know the box still has some life and people still wanting to help out with issues like this. A big THANK YOU for your help.

I've actually never used it on an SD tv. I would imagine you'd have 2 issues though.

1) It's never going to be able to play any of the streams marked HD
2) Without an HDMI connection, it might have a bit of trouble automatically setting the output resolution and the frame rate so you might have to do it manually in teh settings. I have no idea how though.
(2015-09-13, 20:26)Dougal1709 Wrote:
(2015-09-13, 00:00)TheDoughboy Wrote:

#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*

and save it.

Reboot the machine.

I've actually never used it on an SD tv. I would imagine you'd have 2 issues though.

1) It's never going to be able to play any of the streams marked HD
2) Without an HDMI connection, it might have a bit of trouble automatically setting the output resolution and the frame rate so you might have to do it manually in teh settings. I have no idea how though.

Thanks for the response.

When I first got the box I used it on the same TV I'm having trouble with now. It was standard definition, connected through RCA. Everything played fine, even HD streams and files. That was the 1.1.4 firmware with XBMC 13.2. Ever since going to firmware 1.2, and Kodi 15 I've had different issues. Mainly choppy playback and the GUI going crazy and scrambling.

I would go back to the older firmware and XBMC, but I'm a little scared to do that seeing what issues I just went through. A few months back I was trying to upgrade my box to 1.2.2 and something went wrong and I lost the ability to get video output altogether. Matricom, to their credit, did an exchange and gave me a new box. So needless to say I'm a little gun-shy to try and flash an older firmware.

I think you are right that the RCA connection is having a resolution/frame rate issue, as when it goes to play a file the screen blanks for half a second then comes back with the scramble GUI and zoomed out video.

I'll see what I can dig into, but I think the solution for me is to find a cheap HDTV. Again thanks for the help and posting this fix, it's been a big help!
Sorry, i'm not speak english very well and i have i think that problem too on my mx3 box...work very well on 14.2 helix but the new one 15.2 rc not work smoot all my movie lag, returned on 14.2 so bad Sad

Worked for me v1.2.2 firmware. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMLogic Stuttering.....went away and came back again0