Vertical submenu slide behavior
When using the vertical menu home layout with 'always show submenus' enabled the submenus will slide as you browse the main menu, which is nice, except when you pass through a main menu item that doesn't have a submenu which results in the next submenu sliding down from the very top of the screen instead of simply appearing next to it.
Yeah, I've noticed that, it's been that way ever since I created that layout. Not sure there is a fix without completely redesigning it. I guess I could have the submenu close and reopen when the main menu moves, will have to think about it.

Update: Ok, I figured out what I'm going to do. Will change the vertical menu so it functions like the menu in reFocus. The submenu items will open inside the main menu.
If you can, please test the latest Mimic version on github. I completely redesigned the vertical menu layout. Thanks...

https://github.com/bryanbrazil/skin.mimi...master.zip

Thanks for the update. I definitely think this makes the vertical menu look cleaner, and it feels more natural to reach the widget panel by pressing right instead of left.

The only downside to this change is that main menu items need to be pressed twice to enter if they happen to have a submenu, but perhaps that's just a trade-off with this design choice (unless you make left open the submenu instead).

Overall I think this change is an improvement, but I will have to see if my family members can get use to it, haha. I can always switch to top or bottom layout if they don't like it though.

Oh, and it would be nice if the submenus would already be closed before returning to the home screen. For example, if I select a submenu item and then exit back to the home screen I will see the previous submenu items still open for a second or two before they close. This is a problem if you open a different submenu too quickly, because then your newly opened submenu gets closed on you if you don't wait long enough.
(2016-02-14, 09:37)perfectcolors Wrote: Oh, and it would be nice if the submenus would already be closed before returning to the home screen. For example, if I select a submenu item and then exit back to the home screen I will see the previous submenu items still open for a second or two before they close. This is a problem if you open a different submenu too quickly, because then your newly opened submenu gets closed on you if you don't wait long enough.
Thanks, this is now fixed on github.
(2016-02-14, 09:37)perfectcolors Wrote: The only downside to this change is that main menu items need to be pressed twice to enter if they happen to have a submenu, but perhaps that's just a trade-off with this design choice (unless you make left open the submenu instead).
Forgot to respond to this...pressing twice is how the skinshortcuts script handles both menus in a single list. Pressing left for submenu doesn't sound intuitive, so will likely leave as-is.
(2016-02-14, 17:57)braz Wrote:
(2016-02-14, 09:37)perfectcolors Wrote: Oh, and it would be nice if the submenus would already be closed before returning to the home screen. For example, if I select a submenu item and then exit back to the home screen I will see the previous submenu items still open for a second or two before they close. This is a problem if you open a different submenu too quickly, because then your newly opened submenu gets closed on you if you don't wait long enough.
Thanks, this is now fixed on github.

Thanks!

Another relatively minor issue related to this is if you select a submenu item and then exit back to the home screen, the highlighted selection won't revert to the parent menu of the previous submenu, but instead selects a main menu item further down on the list (how far down the selection moves appears related to how many submenus a main menu has and which one was entered.)

This isn't really a big deal but it doesn't feel like expected behavior so I thought I'd mention it.

I really appreciate how quickly you've been improving upon this skin, it's become my new favorite Smile

EDIT:

If it turns out that there isn't a good solution to this then maybe the skin could just leave the last used submenu open when returning to the home screen instead of auto-closing it (this is how reFocus currently does it).
Is it also possible to get the submenus back to their past behavior?
I don't like the submenus open in the same left main menu bar. Is it possible to get it back the way it was, didn't find the option to do so. Or do I have to roll back and like prevent mimic skin from updating ever again by itself?

Edit:
Never mind, rolled back to 3.3.1 and everything ist fine again Smile
Also disabled auto updates via addon Manager/settings for mimic.
(2016-03-10, 00:00)Jemus Wrote: Is it also possible to get the submenus back to their past behavior?
I don't like the submenus open in the same left main menu bar. Is it possible to get it back the way it was, didn't find the option to do so. Or do I have to roll back and like prevent mimic skin from updating ever again by itself?

Edit:
Never mind, rolled back to 3.3.1 and everything ist fine again Smile
Also disabled auto updates via addon Manager/settings for mimic.
Sorry, no plans to bring back the former submenus due to the following reasons:

1) The animation issue noted in the first post above.

2) The number and complexity of the animations required by the former method.

3) Incompatibility of the former submenus with the new expanded widgets.
Guess I'll be joining the others who are rolling back then. Bummer that it's come to this.
Hi, the new vertical design it's cool but not functionally.

Add the possibility to select from this and last version
(2016-03-23, 09:46)robello84 Wrote: Hi, the new vertical design it's cool but not functionally.

Add the possibility to select from this and last version
Sorry, not going to happen for the reasons already explained.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vertical submenu slide behavior0