Kodi on Shield TV Regularly Freezes
I have Kodi installed on an Nvidia Shield TV, which is connected to the network via wifi. My router is a Linksys WRT1900AC, which has gigabit wifi over 5ghz ac. I keep my media on a USB 3.0 Seagate GoFlex that is hanging off the USB 3.0 port on the router. The Shield TV has full signal and the channel I'm on shows up as max quality with wifi analyzer apps on my phone. I use SMB to access the hard drive. I downloaded Kodi from Google Play. I'm pretty sure I'm on 15.2 and it updates by itself.

The issue is that Kodi regularly freezes when watching movies or TV shows that are stored on the hard drive. There is no issue when streaming content through an addon (nor other non-kodi apps like netflix). I didn't have any issues for months. Then recently it started with a 10GB movie file. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the large file but now it happens on various files, even on a single tv show episode (350MB).

By "Freezes" I mean Kodi just stops playing (no buffer bar shows) and the menus / remote buttons are all unresponsive. Then after a minute or more Kodi will just jump back to the homescreen or it will register all button clicks pressed while it was hung up. Often I hit Stop then go back to the menu and Resume the movie/show from where I was.. but it will happen again and again.

I uninstalled Kodi and reinstalled (again from the Play store). I know someone is going to say, use a Cat5 cable but that's not my preferred setup because the router and all are upstairs and this is in the living room. The Shield TV is about 20' from the router (router is on the floor above and 15' horizontally). It seems like wifi shouldn't be the problem because I should only need about 5 mbps for a video and it should handle 1000 mbps over AC wifi. I've also tried 2.4ghz but it happens on that specrum also.

Anyone have any ideas for me on how to fix this? Maybe it's a bandwidth issue or maybe the drive / router combo drops intermittently or something? Would a log help? I'm not sure if it would show anything since this isn't a crash. Thanks in advance!
Have you checked that the hard drive is healthy? I had this happen a couple of times and it was down to HDD failure.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
That router is known for having the best throughput for USB attached drives, but I would still try attaching the drive directly to the Shield and see what difference that makes.
Can you upload a log, that should show you whats happening.
Why my posts are deleted?
Because you break the forum rules, look at where they are moved to - http://forum.kodi.tv/search.php?action=r...ac92115a4f
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delays. My issue has gotten worse since Marshmallow/Jarvis updates. Now no SMB share from the drive will play. They freeze up after about 5 seconds. Odd thing is that I can access the same drive just fine via UPNP. Only SMB is messed up.

Here is a log if anyone is willing to give it a look. http://xbmclogs.com/pflcnng7n

Dangelus: the drive itself is fine. I don't have any issues with any other device or program/app. Just Kodi over SMB.

HipHop: Thanks for the idea. That's my next test but I'm waiting right now because I'm also going back and forth with Linksys Level 2 support and really want to try to get it all to work with centralized storage on the router. Maybe I will end up having to buy a NAS, even though I didn't want to do that.

Thanks!
I don't know if you have solved your problem, but I was having the same issue with my Shield and my new Linksys AC1900 and I seem to have found the solution. No freezing in one week.

It would freeze at random on SMB only. UPNP was fine. I tried a different disk, did not change the issue. All other devices in the house have no issues playing videos from the disk.Using the old router, everything would work flowlessly. Only Kodi with SMB and that router seems to be the bad combination.

Your log file is gone, but in my log file it would say "new data packet, with nothing available". What it looked like was happening is Kodi was not buffering the video and somehow could not request new packets.

What I have done is follow the instructions here to setup an advancesettings.xml file. http://kodi.wiki/view/how-to:modify_the_video_cache

Kodi was reporting that my shield had 1600 MBytes free ram, so I used 1200 for the cache. This is the config is used:

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>419430400</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>40</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

With that config, Most videos can buffer almost completely(you can see the light gray bar on the video timeline) and it seems to have clear the problem.
Actually, the freezing came back. You can see the video just stops buffering at some random point.

I am having issues getting the log file. I'll will post one when I can.
The same thing happens to me!!!!!!
I have a couple of weeks ago Nvidia Shield 16GB of RAM
My router: tp-link archer c9
A-DATA 1GB usb3 attached to the router.
My next test: adjust the advancedsettings.xml file.
But, according to Kworth, that does not solve the problem
Just in case you are using adopted storage..

I had a similar problem, my issue turned about to be that the SD card I had added as adopted storage was a bit crap.

Moving SPMC so that data is on internal flash solved the issues for me - there's a similar thread on geforce forums with a few others having the same issues.
No, I have not yet replaced the internal storage.
But I do think !!!! 16gb is too little and I are falling short.
I want to replace it with a 64GB SD card (95MB / s)
I hope not to worsen the problem

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Shield TV Regularly Freezes0