UI Sluggish at 4k on new system?
So I recently moved onto something more compact, went from an Alienware x51 with an i7 2600k to an Intel Skull Canyon NUC with an i7 6770hq.

My previous system handled the UI just fine without any stuttering(smooth 60fps), however on my new system it seems a little slow and sluggish. Even though the CPU in the new system is one from a laptop its around 10% faster in performance vs the i7 2600k.

Now here is the thing, my previous system had an nvidia gpu in it where as the new one is using intel's IGP. Could there be some hardware acceleration for the UI (NOT VIDEO PLAYBACK) that isn't compatible with the IGP or something? I mean I also have Kodi running at 4k on the Nvidia Shield TV which is an android device and the UI is much smoother than what I am experiencing on the NUC so I doubt its an issue with how powerful the NUC is because its definitely more powerful than the Android Shield TV.

Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am running the latest version of Kodi Jarvis 16.1.
Most likely all comes down to the graphics engine, using an Intel chip with gfx inboard vs Nvidia TV and from the Shield advertising blurbs... Built on the powerful NVIDIA Maxwell architecture, Tegra X1 has 256 GPU cores, a 64-bit CPU, unbeatable 4K video capabilities, and more power-efficient performance than its predecessor; Tegra X1 has more horsepower than the fastest supercomputer of 15 years ago, Intel is not quite there for an all inclusive chip just yet. A lot of the graphic work can be shuffled off to the CPU, but when it comes right down to 4K displays and moving large blocks of video data to the screen, nothing beats independent chips to handle the job. There is a possibility that newer Intel drivers will yet optimize and the latest Kodi optimizations are reflecting this issue with 4K delivery, stay tuned.

Thanks for your observations.
(2016-08-13, 16:14)PatK Wrote: Most likely all comes down to the graphics engine, using an Intel chip with gfx inboard vs Nvidia TV and from the Shield advertising blurbs... Built on the powerful NVIDIA Maxwell architecture, Tegra X1 has 256 GPU cores, a 64-bit CPU, unbeatable 4K video capabilities, and more power-efficient performance than its predecessor; Tegra X1 has more horsepower than the fastest supercomputer of 15 years ago, Intel is not quite there for an all inclusive chip just yet. A lot of the graphic work can be shuffled off to the CPU, but when it comes right down to 4K displays and moving large blocks of video data to the screen, nothing beats independent chips to handle the job. There is a possibility that newer Intel drivers will yet optimize and the latest Kodi optimizations are reflecting this issue with 4K delivery, stay tuned.

Thanks for your observations.

Thank you for the reply. I will be looking forward to Kodi 17 then. It's not bad honestly it's just not as smooth as what I am use to. I still think the NUC is one of the best tiny kodi boxes out there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UI Sluggish at 4k on new system?0