[split] Default menu navigation and using a remote in Kodi 17
If I may include another complaint (rant, bitch, take your pick Wink)...

When I click on Movies from the main Kodi menu, It takes me to a list of all my Movies.
When I click on TV Shows, from the main Kodi menu, it takes me to a list of all my TV series.

5. When I click on Music, from the main Kodi menu, it takes me to a list of every song in my Music library (in alphabetically order). The first time. If I go and instead of clicking Music, I bring up the Sub-menu for Music, and select Artists. Then the next time I click on the main Kodi menu for Music, it will take me to the Artists list (great, thats awesome), but If I back out of that list (to Kodi's main menu), then click on Music again, it takes me to a menu (Files, Music Add-on's, Music, etc). And if I click Music (yet again), then I get a different menu (Genre, Years, Artists, etc).

Please tell me a way to fix it so that when I click on Music, it defaults to the Artists lists.

Pretty please, with sugar on top...
Final issue (for today at least).

When I click to play a Movie, the Movie it brings up the Movie screen and starts playing.
When I click a TV Show, the TV Show comes up and starts playing.

6. When I click a Music song, it starts playing, but doesn't take me to the Music playing screen. Instead I have to hit the TAB key on a keyboard to go to this screen. The problem with this is, how do you do this with a remote (Nvidia Shield Remote, Microsoft Remote, etc)? Hell, I have a logitech smart control remote, and there is no TAB key listed to assign a button to.
Split out from other thread as separate issue.

Quote:5. When I click on Music, from the main Kodi menu, it takes me to a list of every song in my Music library (in alphabetically order). The first time.

This is not ideal, the songs node is not the place to be with a large lib, and not the behaviour I get but I know others have. I probably need some input from the skinners on this.

Quote:6. When I click a Music song, it starts playing, but doesn't take me to the Music playing screen. Instead I have to hit the TAB key on a keyboard to go to this screen. The problem with this is, how do you do this with a remote (Nvidia Shield Remote, Microsoft Remote, etc)? Hell, I have a logitech smart control remote, and there is no TAB key listed to assign a button to.

With video users most likey want to just watch the thing they selected, and much less likely to be making a queue of things to play.

With music many will want to start playback of the first item in the background and then continue navigating their library adding other items to the queue. So IMO not going immediately to the current playlist or OSD is correct behaviour.

But how to do it with a remote? Anyone?
(2017-02-15, 22:19)Powerhouse Wrote: 6. When I click a Music song, it starts playing, but doesn't take me to the Music playing screen. Instead I have to hit the TAB key on a keyboard to go to this screen. The problem with this is, how do you do this with a remote (Nvidia Shield Remote, Microsoft Remote, etc)? Hell, I have a logitech smart control remote, and there is no TAB key listed to assign a button to.

This will depend on the skin you use, but for both Confluence and Estuary there is a button in the side bar menu if purely using a remote.

Confluence

Estuary

(2017-02-15, 22:11)Powerhouse Wrote: When I click on Music, from the main Kodi menu, it takes me to a list of every song in my Music library (in alphabetically order). The first time. If I go and instead of clicking Music, I bring up the Sub-menu for Music, and select Artists. Then the next time I click on the main Kodi menu for Music, it will take me to the Artists list (great, thats awesome), but If I back out of that list (to Kodi's main menu), then click on Music again, it takes me to a menu (Files, Music Add-on's, Music, etc). And if I click Music (yet again), then I get a different menu (Genre, Years, Artists, etc).

Not sure if maybe you're getting confused.

Selecting Music on main menu always that's you get the node selection view, the only exception is if you've previously used one of the submenu options.

You say one time you get Files, Music Add-on's, Music menu, etc then another time you get a different Genre, Years, Artists, etc menu, however that's simple not possible as they are the exact same view (or menu as you've called it).

When you first start a new install and select Music this will take you to the node view, with no music added this consists of:

Playlists
Files
Music Add-ons

Once you added your Music source and scanned your music file to allow Kodi to read the tags and create the the library nodes so you will now see:

Genres
Artists
Years
etc

but note

Playlists
Files
Music Add-ons

are still there. So this is the exact same view/menu you originally had but now displaying additional library nodes as your music has now been scanned in.
@jjd_uk I split this thread from another where @Powerhouse clearly explained he was getting this behaviour from a clean install. That is the first time he clicked on music on the home screen he got the songs node by default. I have had another user report a similar thing, so I suspect we may have something happening rather than just user confusion (especially with the switch from Confluence to Estuary).

Now I thought that clicking Music on home the very first time would take you to the Music Library screen, but subsequently to the last node used in the music library. But this doesn't seem to always be the case, even though I can't repeat it.

I am not sure where the GUI stores the last node used, do you know?
(2017-02-16, 16:11)jjd-uk Wrote: When you first start a new install and select Music this will take you to the node view, with no music added this consists of:

Playlists
Files
Music Add-ons

Once you added your Music source and scanned your music file to allow Kodi to read the tags and create the the library nodes so you will now see:

Genres
Artists
Years
etc

but note

Playlists
Files
Music Add-ons

are still there. So this is the exact same view/menu you originally had but now displaying additional library nodes as your music has now been scanned in.

Of course you are correct (partially). Without adding a Music Source, when you click the main Music button, you do see...
Playlists
Files
Music Add-ons

But Once you add your Music Source, the first time you click the main Music button, you see a list of all your Music (I'm talking every song), in alphabetical order.

Now, if you go into any of the Music buttons sub menus (Artists for example), and you exit out of this view. The next time you click the main Music button, you will be taken to the Artists view. However, if you Backed out of the Artists view (back button, which I've trained my family to use), then it will back out several screens (Artists > List of stuff like Artists, Genre, Years > Playlists, Files, Music Add-ons > Back to the main Kodi menu).

So now, the next time you click on the main Music button again, you are back at the list...
Playlists
Files
Music
Music Add-ons

See how this is broken compared to how it works with Movies and TV Shows.
(2017-02-16, 13:11)jjd-uk Wrote: This will depend on the skin you use, but for both Confluence and Estuary there is a button in the side bar menu if purely using a remote.

Confluence

Estuary

Ok, but where is the toggle to turn this on all the time?

I've asked this question in the Aeon MQ7 thread, and was given an answer that works with that skin (its actually a skin setting, kinda buried)...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294318&page=24

Tested it, and it works great (and is the expected behavior from everyone in my household based on how the rest of Kodi works). Strange that this isn't the default behavior, as I can still click the back button while a song is playing, and it takes me back to the music list, so I can either select a different song to play, or add a song to the queue to be played next.
(2017-02-16, 19:09)Powerhouse Wrote: But Once you add your Music Source, the first time you click the main Music button, you see a list of all your Music (I'm talking every song), in alphabetical order.

This is the behaviour I have been unable to repeat. You mention Aeon Nox, was this with Estuary?

I have lost track of what platform you are using, but could it have had any previous userdata that has carried over to the v17 installation?
Platform is Nvidia Shield TV (latest 2017 version, and a few 2015 versions), running the latest Android OS, with Fresh (non-upgraded) Kodi 17 installs. At first I was messing around with the new Estuary skin (Its alright, better than Confluence in many ways), and had the issues as described. I've since upgraded several with the Aeon MQ7 skin (not yet listed in the official skin section of Kodi), and have been testing it out as well.

So currently I have 1 Shield TV pro (2017) with just Kodi 17 installed (from the play store), and am testing with Estuary.
My other Shield TV's Pro and Standard (2015) have Kodi 17 installed (from the play store), but also have Aeon MQ7 installed.

None of these installs are upgrades from Kodi 16.1, as the Kodi 17 upgrade caused me some issues, so It was wiped, and started over from scratch (which I planned to do anyway, per our discussion about the massive changes in Kodi 17 with all your Music changes)..
Oh, and I do have a Intel NUC (haswell) with Kodi 16.1 on it, but is has been replaced with a Shield TV. But I can mess with that as well, if needed for testing Windows 10 issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Default menu navigation and using a remote in Kodi 170