What HTPC do you use for Kodi?
I am looking to upgrade my HTPC from scratch - opting to buy a case, processor, motherboard and related hardware to run Kodi and mount in my home theater rack.

I'm curious what you all have done hardware-wise to get the most out of Kodi - from budget applications to high performance.

My current install is an Acer Aspire R3700. It's "adequate", but the image quality isn't quite as good as it could be and every once in a while the image 'hesitates'.

I'll probably use the PC to stream (netflix, Amazon, Hulu ...) as well.

Thanks!
Unless you plan on also using it for gaming just get a Intel NUC6CAYS or a J4205-ITX and run Windows on it. There is no need for powerful HTPC anymore. If those streaming apps are important to have on your device you are probably better off with something like a Nvidia Shield TV as they are integrated much better than using a browser window on a Windows PC.
Thanks for the info ... I plan to use Ubuntu and install Kodi.
I want to be able to play my media (music, movies, photos) and stream from video services. J4205 is interesting!
See the HTPC link in my signature. Nothing fancy, but it's been rock solid for almost 3 years.
Kodi Nexus (20.2) on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Matrix (19.3) on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: LG Channels | Xumo Play | DistroTV | Local Now | Redbox | NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
I tend to just use my Laptop when I am at home. Its a Thinkpad T420 with a i5 2520m 8gbs of ram a 500gb hdd and a nvidia 4200m. Handles every 1080p file I toss at it even my 1:1 blueray rips. I just plug it into the soundbar with a Displayport to HDMI cable I got from amazon. AKA https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C9P9TM/

I plan on replacing the T420 with something much newer and much more powerful this year aka i7 7700hq and a nvidia 1060. Not sure what I plan on doing with the T420 once I get the new laptop tho.
A custom built PC running Windows 7 Pro.

Shameful, I know.
How about a Vorke V2, VORKE V2 Ultra Compact PC Intel Skylake I5-6200U Ubuntu16.04 8G DDR3L 128G Samsung SSD 802.11AC WIFI Gigabit LAN HDMI USB 3.1 Type C.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=DJtX5kdszk0
Mac mini mid 2011, gigabyte brix, rpi3 and 3 different Nexus player.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Chromebox , and one odroid c2.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
LibreELEC 8.0 running on Raspi2 connected to Sony-TV.
Really nice for Videos with H.264-Codec and HDMI-CEC works out-of-the-box.
Various :

Chromebox running LibreElec - great for HD MPEG2/H264 interlaced and progressive stuff. HD Audio passthrough. Not good for VC-1 interlaced stuff.

Raspberry Pi 3s running LibreElec - incredibly bang for the buck. No HD Audio passthrough, but PCM 5.1/7.1 lossless decode makes up for that mostly. Handles VC-1 interlaced stuff and 3D (not that I watch it) that the Chromebox doesn't. Still think the Chromebox has a picture quality edge.

ODroid C2 running LibreElec - mainly used for playing around with UHD stuff. Handles HEVC 10 bit at 2160/60p without breaking a sweat (though this is with 8 bit replay). Doesn't always feel quite as rock solid as the two above.
Similar S905 based chinese no-name box running LibreElec - as above but a bit neater.

i5 Haswell NUC - as per the Chromebox - but has enough grunt to software decode 4:2:2 H264 40Mbs stuff with a high quality deinterlace. None of the above can do that... Used for watching high quality HD material as a result.

Intel Compute Stick - running Windows 10 - my preferred 'hotel room' solution with a DVB-T/T2 USB tuner. Good for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video on-the-move. (I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse solution so as not to tie up the USB ports) Used to carry a spare Pi 3 for this purpose - but the compute stick is neater.
Development machines / boards....

2x AMLogic S805 - 1 of these an ODROID C1 used for a permanent TvHeadend Server.
2x AMLogic S812 - test machines - fastest GPU's of the lot for drawing the GUI.
7x AMLogic S905 - 1 of these an ODROID C2 and daily driver for LibreELEC Krypton

Oo

Android only:

Xiaomi Mi Box mainly for Netflix, Spotify and YouTube
Love the simple Wireless remote with the Mi Box when used with Android TV.

Retired:
1xRPi ; 1xRPi2 - too slow no Hardware HEVC decoding.

I should probably have a bit of a cleanout now I've added all the bits n pieces up. Big Grin

Have used a couple of home built HTPC in the past running Ubuntu.

These days all I use is the Mi Box running Android TV and SPMC.
I love the remote and voice command. Simple cheap and simply works!

Sent from my XT1585

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What HTPC do you use for Kodi?0