v17 [Windows] How to set CD Drive Speed?
Question 
Hi,

when playing an ordinary audio CD the access speed is as fast as the drive can handle. This results in annoying noisy drive access.

How can I set speed to single speed?

This did NOT happen with versions of KODI older than current 17 - when I played an audio CD the drive speed apparently was set to single speed.

Please do not recommend to use an external program to set drive speed or recommend to use Linux...

Playback works with single CD speed on Windows Media Player...

Thanks for any hint here,

CryptoLogic.
Yes I've heard the rattling of a disk at take off speed, always wondered if the disk would explode. In the case of writing to the disk, there are many work-rounds, but playback seems to be free-wheeling if the initial interrogation of the disk format is missed and there's nothing in Kodi that can alter/control speed of the the hardware. Sometimes manufacturers will offer software settings as an after thought, vising https://forum.doom9.org/ might be able to source out something for you depending on the brand. Alternatively you could consider External players (wiki) if you have a player in mind that handles your CD drive better.

Suggestion: rip the files to hard disk.
Music 
(2017-05-20, 22:40)PatK Wrote: Yes I've heard the rattling of a disk at take off speed, always wondered if the disk would explode. In the case of writing to the disk, there are many work-rounds, but playback seems to be free-wheeling if the initial interrogation of the disk format is missed and there's nothing in Kodi that can alter/control speed of the the hardware. Sometimes manufacturers will offer software settings as an after thought, vising https://forum.doom9.org/ might be able to source out something for you depending on the brand. Alternatively you could consider External players (wiki) if you have a player in mind that handles your CD drive better.

Suggestion: rip the files to hard disk.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Actually, I have ripped all my CDs to FLAC, but in some cases the ripping failed. The resulting tracks contain gaps, where some audio content is skipped, or the audio content sounds distorted. I have checked with two CD drives, same result with both. It must be an issue of the CDs themselves. They are probably ripping-protected (although there is no warning on their jewel cases) and can only be played at single speed, nothing else will work.

When a visitor passes by and has a CD to listen to, just as in this case, then I have no way to check how I could circumvent errornous ripping. I simply want to listen to the CD and with a media player that to me is a valid requirement.

I built a media PC and my CD drive is one of the rare short form factor drives and there is no easy replacement for it. Apart from the single speed issues I have been happy with it so far.

As a workaround I have used Windows 10 Media Player (which I wanted to get away with) that played at single speed. And, as already stated, I have had no issues with an older version of KODI.

Regards,
CryptoLogic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] How to set CD Drive Speed?0