problems trying to execute XBMC in ubuntu server 8.04.1
Let me preface this by saying I am completely new to linux.

I'm trying to get XBMC running on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop on Ubuntu Server 8.04.1.

To start XBMC, I type the following commands in command line:
Code:
$ cd XBMC
$ ./xbmc.bin

Everytime I do that, I get this error:
Code:
Cannot get root display. Is X11 running and is your DISPLAY variable set?

I have gnome-core installed.

What should I try to do next?

How do I configure XBMC (or my graphics card) to output video through the s-video port on my laptop? I have Intel 915GM integrated graphics.
You have to install the drivers for your graphics card and then configure them with xorg .. I dont know how to do with your exact type of gfx but I am sure someone else knows .. And maybe you have to change to the generic kernel too instead of the server-kernel .. only maybe.. I had alot of problems with audio and gfx on the server kernel (nvidia-gfx) ..
Out of curiosity, you say you are new to linux. Why are you running the server version? Is it better for the laptop or something?
phunqe Wrote:Out of curiosity, you say you are new to linux. Why are you running the server version? Is it better for the laptop or something?

No it isn't better for a laptop and yes, he should be using the desktop version until he knows what he's doing.
rrambo created a good guide that should help you out. XBMC on 7.10 Server, Minimal Install with no GDM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problems trying to execute XBMC in ubuntu server 8.04.10