Solved Some cast members on some TV shows info listed as "invalid actor"
Question 
I'm not sure if this is a problem related to a scraper add-on, a distro, a platform or to Kodi in general. If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, please move and accept my apologies.

I'm running Kodi 18.2 on LibreElec 9.0.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3. My TV shows scrape correctly but when I request the info for a TV episode, some members of the cast show up as "Invalid actor". The actor name appears but the character played by him/her doesn't. Sometimes an actor photo is displayed correctly in this case, at other times the image also shows "invalid actor" (a silhouette with an X through it).

What could cause this problem? Is it something on my side or is it related to TVDB? How should I proceed troubleshooting this?

All suggestions appreciated!

// FvW
(2020-10-20, 20:39)frankvw Wrote: My TV shows scrape correctly but when I request the info for a TV episode, some members of the cast show up as "Invalid actor".
I've never seen such an error.
How do you request info for a tv episode? Are you using an addon?
Can you post a screenshot of the problem.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-10-20, 20:44)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-10-20, 20:39)frankvw Wrote: My TV shows scrape correctly but when I request the info for a TV episode, some members of the cast show up as "Invalid actor".
I've never seen such an error.
How do you request info for a tv episode? Are you using an addon?
Can you post a screenshot of the problem.
Sure!  Laugh Here's one from GoT. See cast details at the bottom. Note that one actor ("Alfie Alan as Theon Greyjoy") is displayed correctly (photo and all) but the other actors here are not. I did not use any out-of-the-ordinary add-on but out-of-the-box Kodi, using the regular procedure: ripped the episodes off my (legally bought) DVDs, put them onto the harddisk, updated the Kodi library (which, I believe, scrapes episode info off TVDB) and that's it. I've done that since day one. Sometimes scraping doesn't work (due to misnamed episode files, Kodi needing to download an update or TVDB being unavailable due to Internet issues) but that's nothing out of the ordinary. But in this case scraping proceeds and completes normally, with the result below. Refreshing episode data or series data makes no difference.

(2020-10-20, 20:39)frankvw Wrote: I'm running Kodi 18.2 on LibreElec 9.0.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Any particular reason you are running an older version of LibreELEC? Just wondering.
(2020-10-21, 17:30)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-10-20, 20:39)frankvw Wrote: I'm running Kodi 18.2 on LibreElec 9.0.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Any particular reason you are running an older version of LibreELEC? Just wondering.

No real reason, just the fact that the improvements in 9.2 vs. 9.0.2 didn't seem to warrant the upgrade the last time I checked. Admittedly, I have become somewhat reticent in my update policy; I'm in a part of the world where bandwidth is expensive and I'm not following every minor upgrade. Also, I've set LE to show update notifications but so far I haven't gotten any, and when I check "Available Versions" under "System Settings -> Updates" I still only see 9.0.2. Not sure why. But you have a point; I see LE 9.2 contains Kodi 18.8 vs. my 18.2 so it warrants a look to see if an upgrade will resolve the issue. Thanks for spotting it. Smile
It's all good. Something like "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".
(2020-10-21, 17:21)frankvw Wrote: Sure!  Laugh Here's one from GoT. See cast details at the bottom.
Thanks. That is really weird. I have never seen such an issue.

If you delete GOT and rescrape it, does the same thing happen? If yes, could you do that and capture it in a Debug Log and provide the log. Remember to enable debug mode and restart Kodi.

I may also need your database if you know where that is. You can PM me the link for that.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-10-21, 19:41)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-10-21, 17:21)frankvw Wrote: Sure!  Laugh Here's one from GoT. See cast details at the bottom.

If you delete GOT and rescrape it, does the same thing happen? If yes, could you do that and capture it in a Debug Log and provide the log. Remember to enable debug mode and restart Kodi.

I may also need your database if you know where that is. You can PM me the link for that.
I'll do that. However, I'm tied up with work right now (I'm deadlined until Friday night) so it's going to be sometime this weekend.

Tnx!
(2020-10-22, 17:30)frankvw Wrote: I'll do that. However, I'm tied up with work right now (I'm deadlined until Friday night) so it's going to be sometime this weekend.
No problems.

I assume it is the same when you change skins back to default Estuary?

One thing that has me curious is the TVDB shows no guest actors for that episode so I wonder where they are coming from...
https://www.thetvdb.com/series/game-of-t...es/5579003
My Signature
(2020-10-21, 19:41)Karellen Wrote:

OK, so I deleted GoT, enabled debug logging, ran another 'Update database' and, sure enough, all cast members are now being displayed correctly. So I don't know what to tell you, except thanks for the suggestion. If the fault had been reproduced I'd have been able to send you the log and database, but as it is, I don't expect either one will contain anything at this point that might be conducive to bug fixing... If it is a bug. rather than a TVDB issue (or perhaps an Internet issue during the initial scrape) that wasn't resolved by refreshing episode info for individual episodes.

Anyway, I'm happy Kodi user at this point, and grateful for being pointed into the right direction. You guys rock. Keep up the good work!!

// FvW
Thanks for letting us know.

Thread marked solved.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some cast members on some TV shows info listed as "invalid actor"0