Would the Pi and its gpu be widevine level1 ready?
I recently saw people debating about using a TrustedMemoryZone in AMD Cards for Digital Rights Management like Widevine and allow higher resolutions and hardware decoding under Linux in
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...I-Playback.

Would a similiar approach work with the graphic chip used on the Raspberry Pi?
I am sure Google would never certify such a system, but hypothetically speaking, could we do such an approach?
Does the Pi have such a "secure computing element" that is required by higher widevine levels?
So far it's just a speculation, a possibility.

Arm processors have had this for years and it has been widely used in android.
It's called TEE (Trusted Execution Environment) and it's part of the CPU, not the GPU.
AFAIK RPF/RPT folks don't actively develop and are not interested in TEE/OPTEE functionality because it's not needed for their goals.
TEE/OPTEE support is not enabled in stock raspbian (raspi OS) kernels. It is not even known if this stuff works properly or not on the pies.

AMD TMZ is actually related to the CPU (PSP - Platform Security Processor , an infamous blackbox inside amd cpus), not the GPU, what you have read but probably not understood well enough is that a mesa part was added which can make use of TMZ for secure video decoding.

Widevine stuff is a closed source DRM blackbox which linux distros don't even have rights to distribute in binary form.
Everything you might read about the possibility of blah-blah is just a speculation unless it comes from google itself.
Yea people loose their minds when it comes to that topic and lack the technical expertise and that is why i asked in the raspi subsection.
So it is the CPU part not the GPU part of the system that needs to support trusted decoding.
Fortunately the raspi foundation is not the only stakeholder in the ecosystem.
Depending on the model, there might be overlap in hardware with other projects, systems and stakeholders so i wouldn't conclude that RPFs lack of interest blocks this from happening.

It comes down to google eventually but i was curious if the hardware support is there.
I think it's going to be VEEEERRRRY interesting to see what starts happening in the ARM processor world in the next few years now that Apple has thrown down it's gauntlet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Would the Pi and its gpu be widevine level1 ready?0