OS X Updating data source not available
Hey,

I am new in the forum but am currently experiencing issues with TinyMediaManager. I just moved to a new apartment and re-set-up my entertainment system. In the process, I moved my media server (NAS) and added several new titles to my collection. When trying to manage the library with TinyMediaManager now, I am encountering the problem of not being able to update the library. My last run of TMM was about half a year ago on a different network.

Every time I try to press "Update data sources", I receive the error "Data source /Volumes/TV-Shows not available - skipping", even though I did mount the network drive "TV-Shows" beforehand.

I have tried updating from Catalina to OS X 11, re-installing TinyMediaManager, using different methods to mount the drives, a second mac computer (MacBook), and giving TMM full disk access. A test source (some movies in a desktop folder) work fine when not on the mapped network drive.

My system is a MacMini(2018) with
   -> Java Vers: 1.8.0_271
   -> TMM Vers: 3.1.10

Here is an excerpt from the TMM.log:
Code:
2020-11-15 01:53:46,495 INFO  [tmmpool-main-task-T2-G17] o.t.c.t.tasks.TvShowUpdateDatasourceTask:174 - Start UDS on datasource: /Volumes/TV-Shows
2020-11-15 01:53:46,511 ERROR [tmmpool-main-task-T2-G17] o.t.c.t.tasks.TvShowUpdateDatasourceTask:1125 - list files failed: /Volumes/TV-Shows: Operation not permitted
2020-11-15 01:53:46,513 INFO  [tmmpool-main-task-T2-G17] o.t.c.t.tasks.TvShowUpdateDatasourceTask:307 - getting Mediainfo...
2020-11-15 01:53:46,513 INFO  [tmmpool-main-task-T2-G17] o.t.c.t.tasks.TvShowUpdateDatasourceTask:343 - Done updating datasource Smile - took 00:00:00.018

I am not sure if I am just missing some permissions for Java, external volumes, or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would be more than happy to provide log-files if helpful.

Thanks in advance!
you have already identified the core information:

Code:
2020-11-15 01:53:46,511 ERROR [tmmpool-main-task-T2-G17] o.t.c.t.tasks.TvShowUpdateDatasourceTask:1125 - list files failed: /Volumes/TV-Shows: Operation not permitted

looks like something in your setup is preventing the tmm process of listing files from this source.. I cannot say whether this is the share itself (NAS permissions), the mount options OR macOS gatekeeper itself - but this is definitely something you need to solve yourself
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Hey mlaggner,

thanks for the fast reply.

I found the problem and a fix. The fact that the problem appeared on two different machines and the fact that I now successfully was able to use different external volumes (non-network) for my library clearly pointed towards a NAS share/mapping problem. Even though I tried mapping with SMB/AFP/NFS before, I never tried mapping outside the /Volumes/ Section of my computer. A combination of the two links (netnerds.net alone resulted in empty folders and forums.plex.tv alone maps a folder that also doesn't work for me) worked for me to map the shares to my User Folder:

Create a folder in your Home directory for the NAS (e.g. /User/me/MyCloudEX2Ultra) and for each of the shares you want to map (e.g. /User/USERNAME/MyCloudEX2Ultra/Movies, /Users/USERNAME/MyCloudEX2Ultra/TV-Shows)
From a terminal window:
Code:
sudo touch /etc/auto_afp
sudo chmod 600 /etc/auto_afp
Opening the auto_afp file with nano
Code:
sudo nano /etc/auto_afp
and adding (while replacing the capitalised sections with your details)
Code:
SHARE     -fstype=afp    afp://USER:PASSWORD@NETWORKLOCATION/SHARE
for each share. For me this was: 
Code:
Movies          -fstype=afp     afp://ME:PSWD@MyCloudEX2Ultra/Movies
TV-Shows        -fstype=afp     afp://ME:PSWD@MyCloudEX2Ultra/TV-Shows
Saving with contol+o and closing with control+x.
Opening and adding
Code:
sudo nano /etc/auto_master
adding (while replacing the capitalised sections with your details) one extra line to the file:
Code:
/Users/USERNAME/FOLDER                    auto_afp        -nosuid
Here, FOLDER is the initially created folder in your Home directory for the NAS (e.g. /User/me/MyCloudEX2Ultra). This leaves my example with:
Code:
/Users/me/MyCloudEX2Ultra                    auto_afp        -nosuid
Saving with contol+o and closing with control+x.
Restarting automount
Code:
sudo automount -vc
should map the new drives correctly in the home directory. The shares should now also be correctly mounted after rebooting!

I am guessing the problem was some permissions error for the /Volumes directory. I hope this helps others.

Cheers!
Thanks for the detailed information which may help other users too
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating data source not available0