Android TV (Sony) - Adding SMB source not working (operation not permitted)
Hi.

Synology NAS (with SMB name \\NASDS418j) work just fine on Windows when added as Network Drive. I can even open File Explorer and write \\NASDS418j and I get the overview of all the folders on my Synology NAS.
I have created a user on my Synology NAS which I am using for all my Kodi connected devices called kodi, which has a simple password that I can remember.

I have a Nvidia Shield, running Kodi (Matrix) which I have set up to work with my Synology NAS. Works like a charm
  1. Went to Settings > Media > Library > Videos > Add > Browse > Add Network Location
  2. Protocol: Windows network (SMB)
  3. Server name: NASDS418j
  4. Username: KODI (Don't know why this is uppercase, but it seems to work - I'm almost sure that I created the 'KODI' user before updating to the newest version on my Synology yesterday, it seems to have been changed to 'kodi')
  5. Password: <password>
This adds the Synology NAS on my list for "Browse for new share", which means I can add the folders as sources for my media.

I have an Android TV (Sony) running Kodi (also Matrix), which I used to have set up to work with my Synology NAS - Used to work like a charm, but when trying to add the SMB source as on my Nvidia Shield I get an error, almost no matter what I try.

Yesterday I updated my Synology to version 7.x (from 6.x) and all of a sudden my SMB share doesn't work on my Android TV.

I have also tried installing Kodi on my phone (Oneplus 6T) and adding the SMB share here, which works fine as well - albeit a little slow compared to my Shield and Android TV (when this worked).

I found some threads suggesting to use SMB1 as minimum and maximum in Kodi on the Android TV, which a tried - didn't work. Also tried adding Legacy support - didn't work either. 

When I try to add my NAS as a source on my Android TV, I get the message: "operation not permitted".
In the logs I see the following:

SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAME: [email protected]
unix_err: '1' error : 'Operation not permitted'
GetDirectory - Error getting smb://USERNAME: PASSWORD@NASDS418J/

(added spaces to above snippets to avoid Tongue)

And that is the only mention there is of that error.

From my Synology Log Center is read that NTLMv1 was not enabled, so I went to enable that. However that didn't change anything - I still can't connect.

I'm assuming my issue is that Synology is trying to move away from SMB1 (which I expect my Sony Bravia TV is using - far from sure though) while a lot of devices still rely on that very old technology. I read that a lot of people have issues with their Sonos speakers, alike to the issues I'm experiencing here.

However I hope that someone here has a solution to the issue I'm facing.

EDIT:
I read a lot and other people are also having Synology NAS devices and they are having the same problem after the DSM 7.x update. 

The posts I found are found on the synology community forum - https://community.synology.com/enu/ and the posts in question are found searching for the following strings:
  • Can’t mount SMB
  • DSM 7 Samba / SMB implementation has a serious bug
  • Unable to Connect via Windows Network after DSM 7 Update

I was unsure if it was allowed to add direct links to the above posts, which is why I did it this way. Please let me know if this helped any of you out there and how.
(2021-09-21, 23:31)zeliax Wrote: Hi.

Synology NAS (with SMB name \\NASDS418j) work just fine on Windows when added as Network Drive. I can even open File Explorer and write \\NASDS418j and I get the overview of all the folders on my Synology NAS.
I have created a user on my Synology NAS which I am using for all my Kodi connected devices called kodi, which has a simple password that I can remember.

I have a Nvidia Shield, running Kodi (Matrix) which I have set up to work with my Synology NAS. Works like a charm
  1. Went to Settings > Media > Library > Videos > Add > Browse > Add Network Location
  2. Protocol: Windows network (SMB)
  3. Server name: NASDS418j
  4. Username: KODI (Don't know why this is uppercase, but it seems to work - I'm almost sure that I created the 'KODI' user before updating to the newest version on my Synology yesterday, it seems to have been changed to 'kodi')
  5. Password: <password>
This adds the Synology NAS on my list for "Browse for new share", which means I can add the folders as sources for my media.

I have an Android TV (Sony) running Kodi (also Matrix), which I used to have set up to work with my Synology NAS - Used to work like a charm, but when trying to add the SMB source as on my Nvidia Shield I get an error, almost no matter what I try.

Yesterday I updated my Synology to version 7.x (from 6.x) and all of a sudden my SMB share doesn't work on my Android TV.

I have also tried installing Kodi on my phone (Oneplus 6T) and adding the SMB share here, which works fine as well - albeit a little slow compared to my Shield and Android TV (when this worked).

I found some threads suggesting to use SMB1 as minimum and maximum in Kodi on the Android TV, which a tried - didn't work. Also tried adding Legacy support - didn't work either. 

When I try to add my NAS as a source on my Android TV, I get the message: "operation not permitted".
In the logs I see the following:

SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAME: [email protected]
unix_err: '1' error : 'Operation not permitted'
GetDirectory - Error getting smb://USERNAME: PASSWORD@NASDS418J/

(added spaces to above snippets to avoid Tongue)

And that is the only mention there is of that error.

From my Synology Log Center is read that NTLMv1 was not enabled, so I went to enable that. However that didn't change anything - I still can't connect.

I'm assuming my issue is that Synology is trying to move away from SMB1 (which I expect my Sony Bravia TV is using - far from sure though) while a lot of devices still rely on that very old technology. I read that a lot of people have issues with their Sonos speakers, alike to the issues I'm experiencing here.

However I hope that someone here has a solution to the issue I'm facing.

EDIT:
I read a lot and other people are also having Synology NAS devices and they are having the same problem after the DSM 7.x update. 

The posts I found are found on the synology community forum - https://community.synology.com/enu/ and the posts in question are found searching for the following strings:
  • Can’t mount SMB
  • DSM 7 Samba / SMB implementation has a serious bug
  • Unable to Connect via Windows Network after DSM 7 Update

I was unsure if it was allowed to add direct links to the above posts, which is why I did it this way. Please let me know if this helped any of you out there and how.

Alright. Here goes. I found the solution to my specific problem.

Something seemed to have broken when I updated my Synology NAS, as well as when I updated Kodi on my TV.

After trying almost everything I could think of, the thing that ended up being my solution was to clear data (on my Kodi installation), remove the app, and reinstall it after that.

I added my sources, installed add-ons, copied my advanced settings xml file (for my central db) to the userdata folder and I was set to go.

Something must have bugged out during an update, as it seemed my TV was stuck trying to use SMB1 at all times. Now it is connecting correctly (using SMB3) using the user I have set up for kodi on my NAS.

I hope this helps someone else out there.
Wow, I've been trying to solve this problem for a week.
After updating DSM to version 7 kodi didn't see the SMB shares.
Thanks for coming back with your solution!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android TV (Sony) - Adding SMB source not working (operation not permitted)0