Low color depth with skins
Star 
Hi everyone.
I've been using XBMC on Xbox for quite a while now, and it really is the best piece of software I've ever seen. In fact, I keep my Xbox only because of this program, without it, it would probably gather dust somewhere.
But, HD came into play and of course, the Xbox can't be used anymore with those high def' movies things. So I've decided to use my PC from now on, and tried to install XBMC on it.

I was amazed by the fact that it works exactly the same as the Xbox version. That's a really great job here for sure.

However, I seem to have one tiny problem with the colors : it seems the color depth is quite low with the skins, giving them washed out colors. I don't know how to exactly describe it, but let's say that it looks like XBMC boots in 16-bits instead of 32, for a point of comparison. Of course, my desktop color depth is set to 32-bits, and ironically XBMC doesn't bot when it is set at 16.

I tried with the regular skin, Project Mayhem III, and with MediaStream, and they both have this issue. Videos look fine however, so I don't know what is wrong exactly with the skins. I see no possibility to set color depth in XBMC (maybe a setting somewhere in an XML file?), so I have no idea how to fix it.
Or is it supposed to be that way? On my Xbox those skins look much better, so I don't know...

Well, that's it. Thank you for your attention, and for any help you could bring Big Grin .

PS : Here are some screenshots in case I didn't make myself clear (and I'm sorry if that's the case, I just don't know how to describe it).

First
Second
What is your graphic controller hardware and which video device driver are you using for it? If the graphic controller hardware is supported then begin by updating the video device drivers, if you still have problems with the latest video device drivers then upload a debug log to pastebin.ca and port the link to it here.

PS! This is the XBMC for Windows forum, but the screenshots looks to be from a Mac?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello, and thank your for your reply.

Yes, the screens make it looks like I'm using Mac OS, but it's actually a great skin for Windows XP that mimics the look of Mac OS. Since I'm using an iMac with XP installed trough Boot Camp, that's seems logical Big Grin .

Anyway...My video card is an ATI Radeon X1600. I have the latest drivers downloaded from ATI/AMD website for Boot Camp (they are quite old by now, because neither Apple nor ATI provide regular updates...) for them. So technicaly I do have the latest drivers, they're just quite old (from January 2008).

I don't know if there is a list of supported graphic card, does XBMC needs something special? My card doesn't have any problem, and seems to fit the requirements.

I'm going to try to redownload and reinstall them just in case, I hope that will work the problem.

Thanks for your help!
Edit seems to be disabled here so I'll just make a double post, sorry if that's not allowed.

I tried to redownloaded and install the drivers, but that changed nothing. Here is the log : I just started XBMC and immediately shut it down. Hope that will help.
http://pastebin.ca/1189789
i have the same problem with low color depth. using a radon 9800 pro 256 and omega drivers.

i honestly dont think the latest radeon drivers support this card very well, being its a few years old. so does anyone know what radon drivers set works with xbmc?
fixed by installing Catalyst 8.12 seems stable even on this old card
cturnbull802 Wrote:fixed by installing Catalyst 8.12 seems stable even on this old card

Same happened to me, I installed latest Catalyst and then reset settings to default and that fixed it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low color depth with skins0