Android Kodi on Philips 55Oled808 Android TV 12 refresh rate
I am currently replacing my old Home Cinema Setup, which has become quiet old by now. Due our TV breaking down recently, I had to start there and we got a Philips 55oled808 running AndroidTV12/GoogleTV.
Regarding Kodi, Right now there is this ancient (Sandy Bridge/GTX 970) HT/Gaming PC running Windows, which I heavily modified to have a nice and clean gaming and Media center experience.

My first Idea was, to replace that with a new setup that would run linux for kodi and on top a virtualized windows for gaming. However there are several Problems with that Idea, so I dropped that. Otoh, I really wanted to avoid yet another device in the living room.
So I thought, Hey that brand new Philips runs Android, why not try Kodi on it ? So I side loaded kodi from kodi.tv and yeah, things looked great. Except there is this huge show stopper, fixed refresh rate at 60Hz and Screen res at 4k. The TV itself (tested on the current HTPC) has plenty of refresh rates and resolutions, so the display can surely handle that. I tried to search the net regarding this problem, yet I am still confused, probably more then before. For example, I read that only starting with AndroidTV12 it will be possible to use different refresh rates, seamless. Otoh I am pretty sure that those older Android boxes like shield etc. are able to use different refresh rates under kodi. Is this possibly a difference between Android and AndroidTV? What is running on the shield? Is this because IIRC Kodi did their own implementation of changing refresh rate? I also read somewhere that Philips (and other vendors) are to blame, as they didn't implement that feature at all.

Anyway, what I ´d like to know/understand is, what is preventing the Philips from switching frame rate? And might there be hope that the situation changes? I mean, I have this very naive Idea, that it would be in fact possible to switch framerate using AndroidTV12 api to do that, while right now a custom implementation in kodi would prevent that from working (Again, those are just naive assumptions, I have no Idea how things are really working, it is a bit out of my scope right now)

If there is no hope in having that Problem solved, I guess I have to dig through the "Kodi Media Players State of the Union" thread.
If you have a suggestion with all bells and whistle working plus beeing snappy and, important, has a build in IR receiver for the Logitech Harmony, Feel free to post as well ;-)
(2024-02-09, 16:44)Canuma Wrote: Anyway, what I ´d like to know/understand is, what is preventing the Philips from switching frame rate? And might there be hope that the situation changes? I mean, I have this very naive Idea, that it would be in fact possible to switch framerate using AndroidTV12 api to do that, while right now a custom implementation in kodi would prevent that from working (Again, those are just naive assumptions, I have no Idea how things are really working, it is a bit out of my scope right now)

Possible solution/workaround - C/P from here

"run Keymap Editor addon
select "full screen video" - "Playback"
map "select resolution" to a button on remote.
When video starts press button to manually select resolution."

With this option you can select proper resolution with adequate frame rate.
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately right now I am not able yet to edit configfiles or remap Buttons, granted with the add-on I might be able to test in General. However, I very much doubt that would work (beside the inconvenience to switch manually every time) because. there simply aren't any resolutions or refresh rates to choose from. I was able to look into the kodi look with the inbuild viewer, and kodi simply detects the device as only be able to use with 4k@60hz, nothing else. No problem with external devices though, There I get tons of different stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Philips 55Oled808 Android TV 12 refresh rate0