Sega Master System II PC build.
This is something I wanted to do after my Xbox PC build, but there’s only so many HTPC’s you can have in a house and the Odroid has been ticking along nicely now for many years. I recently won a Beelink Sei12 in a competition and used that to build this console HTPC. This time I didn’t document the build like last time, mainly due to using a 3D printer to create the parts, which involved designing and refining parts in Fusion. Biggest challenge was designing the parts to fit and aligning them in the case – the side fan and rear IO were the most challenging as you only get one chance with cutting. Unfortunately i wasn't able to keep the sliding cartridge port as it took up too much space internally. Beelink were helpful with this build and provided fan header schematics so I could replace the fan.

Notable feature include:
  • 3D printed motherboard + HDD tray and other parts
  • Built-in IR receiver, a front USB port and a Arduino for Hyperion TV backlighting
  • Replaced an internal fan with a 5v PWM Noctua fan
  • Both switches are functional and act as power buttons – no pause unfortunately!
  • LED lighting to illuminate the cartridge port cover

Quick note on the hardware – it is a Beelink SEi12 which came with an Intel 12450h CPU. The unit is quiet even at full CPU usage and stays cool. I was definitely impressed with the powerful hardware, which came with 16gb RAM and a 1tb NVME. While the multi-core CPU rips through CPU intensive tasks, the Intel GPU is lacking and will not run Wii, Wii U or PS2 games at full speed at 1080p. At 720p 60 fps is achievable and stable. One strange quirk with this hardware is that wake on USB is not functional and it is not fixable via a firmware update. This is a game breaker for a HTPC, but I was able to work around this by using a ESP32 to detect the power signal on my remote and send a WOL packet to the machine. Clunky, but functional. Also, the DP port is not a DP++ port, so an active adapter is required to get a HDMI signal from it. Video playback is mostly good, with the unit providing hardware decoding of AV1 in Kodi Omega on Linux. I say mostly because the new Intel Media Driver has broken advanced de-interlacing, so my old Gemini Lake hardware provides a better picture with interlaced content.

Overall I am very happy with how this build has turned out and the power of the machine. Now for some photos:

watch gallery
This would be hilarious matched with your Steam Launcher addon, just casually playing Kingdom Hearts or something on a Master System.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sega Master System II PC build.0