How to change the default refresh rate in full screen ?
I am experiencing a major stuttering with XBMC using 25fps 23.9fps material.

The cause is what i found out is that in Ubuntu 8.1 full screen opengl defaults to 60Hz refresh rate despite what you set up for desktop.

What i experienced with other media players is that movie playback can NEVER be smooth iunless the refresh rate can be divided by the movie fps. For example 50Hz(or 75Hz) for 25fps.

Some people don't see this problem because they mostly have NTSC 30fps materrial which shows good on a 60hz refresh rate, but i think mostly in europe it is a major problem for everyone.

I am seeking for a solution within XBMC to change the refresh rate automaticly according to the movie fps.

I don't even know how to change XBMC default refresh rate of 60hz to let's say fix 50Hz. Whatever i choose in the setup screen the refresh rate always stays 60hz.

Anyone know a solution ?
alanwww1 Wrote:I am experiencing a major stuttering with XBMC using 25fps 23.9fps material.

The cause is what i found out is that in Ubuntu 8.1 full screen opengl defaults to 60Hz refresh rate despite what you set up for desktop.

What i experienced with other media players is that movie playback can NEVER be smooth iunless the refresh rate can be divided by the movie fps. For example 50Hz(or 75Hz) for 25fps.

Some people don't see this problem because they mostly have NTSC 30fps materrial which shows good on a 60hz refresh rate, but i think mostly in europe it is a major problem for everyone.

I am seeking for a solution within XBMC to change the refresh rate automaticly according to the movie fps.

I don't even know how to change XBMC default refresh rate of 60hz to let's say fix 50Hz. Whatever i choose in the setup screen the refresh rate always stays 60hz.

Anyone know a solution ?

I thought it was a windows-only problem? If you're using a nvidia card you could try adding Option "DynamicTwinView" "False" to your xorg.conf. There's an option in xbmc to automatically change refresh-rates which I use and it works perfectly on my tv.
Thanks for the reply.

Where is this option ? Do i need to install some additional plugin ?
No extra plugin needed. It's located under settings / video. If you're using an nvidia-card it only works if you add the option in xorg.conf I mentioned, without it the card won't report the correct refresh rate-values to XBMC. Oh, and it's not in the PPA version, you have to compile from SVN.
Thanks very much for the help. I really appreciate it.

I am pretty newbie to XBMC.

You say that there is an option in the svn version which is not yet implemented in the ppa version ? So it is brand new ?
Yes, it's a new function. It showed up a couple of weeks ago, I think, and it actually works! Shocked It's not that hard to compile yourself, there's an excellent guide describing how to do it.
Sorry for so much bothering, but i am pretty new.

I have svn 16188. I can not find newer. It is from nov. 16.

Where can i find the compiling guide.

Thank you once again.
No problem. I'm usually the one with the questions... Wink Here's the link: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code.
Thans for all the help.
I tried all the things you mentioned.

I disabled twinview in xorg.conf. Now i can properly set refresh rates,
i cimpiled the latest svn but the adjusting of refresh rates just does not work.

Once i started XBMC if i set the refresh rate to 75hz it stays there playing the 25fps content no problem, but if it was set to 60hz it stays there all the time with major stuttering.

The other time i tried it the refreh rate was set to 60hz and XBMC made the 25 fps movie i played winded up 60FPS Shocked . The movie was more than twice faster than it should have been.

I don't really understand how it works.

How it should normally work ?

If i have a 24, 50, 60 Hz capable LCD does it really makes the refresh rates changed to the fpos of the movie (24, 25, 30) ?

I am really stuck with this now.

My other problem is tthat XBMC frequently crashes. Maybe it is that i use the latest Ubuntu 8.1. Some kind of an audio problem i think.

I don't even think of how i will use my onboard HDMI audio with uncompressed LPCM multichannel 192khz/24bits. This is already working with windonws and Media Player Classic, but i really like Linux and XBMC and try to reach to the same point.

Thanks for the help once more.

Alan from Hungary
Have you checked the alternative for automatic refresh rate-something under settings / video?

The crashing has probably something to do with pulseaudio. There's some threads about it but the easiest way is the following (which works for me):

sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio
killall pulseaudio
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install esound

I'm running the automatic refresh rate-function with my Samsung LE40A656 which handles the same refresh rates as your telly does, at least when in 1920x1080p-mode.
LolitaRainking Wrote:I'm running the automatic refresh rate-function with my Samsung LE40A656 which handles the same refresh rates as your telly does, at least when in 1920x1080p-mode.

What do you mean the same refresh rate ?

It should work like this

If movie is PAL 25fps, the Opengl refresh rate should be 50Hz or 75Hz.
If movie is NTSC 30fps, the opengl refresh rate should be 60Hz (or 30Hz)
If movie is BD 24fps, the opengl refresh rate should be 24Hz (or 48Hz).

I use to check movie fps with key "o" and the opengl refresh rate with key "s" and than click to information button.

It does not work for me like that at all. Is this how it works for you ?
Yes, that's how it works for me. When I play a swedish tv-series which is in 30fps xbmc changes the refresh rate to 60hz, when I watch a 24p-movie (ie. bluray-rip) it changes to 24hz. When I check on the tv, with the information-button, it verifies that it runs in the right mode.

It only works in full screen-mode, though. Try setting the resoultion in xbmc to 1920x1080 instead of automatic.
I only tested on my LCD monitor yet, but i will try it with my Samsung 42" LCD that supports 1080p resolution.

Maybe the problem is Interprid and i should go back to Hardy.

I hope sometime I can also help you if you have any problem Big Grin

Thanks
alanwww1 Wrote:I only tested on my LCD monitor yet, but i will try it with my Samsung 42" LCD that supports 1080p resolution.

Maybe the problem is Interprid and i should go back to Hardy.

I hope sometime I can also help you if you have any problem Big Grin

Thanks

LCD-monitors usually don't support anything other than 60hz, at least I've never encountered one. TV's in the higher price region usually does, though, so if you try it on your samsung it'll probably work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to change the default refresh rate in full screen ?0