Problem running 720p files on a 720p capable pc
Hi,

I just installed a fresh winxp sp2 on a P4 3ghz with 1.5g ram and 720p don't run well.

What can be causing this?
causing what?

you have not...
described the problem
given any debug logs
described the content you are having problems with
given video card info

... the only thing we can conclude at this point is
a) problem is user error
or
b) it "don't run well" because most computers don't have legs.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
LRa Wrote:Hi,

I just installed a fresh winxp sp2 on a P4 3ghz with 1.5g ram and 720p don't run well.

What can be causing this?

Well most likley it's because of the P4. 3GHz might sound all impressive to someone who doesn't know anythig about computers but if it's an older single core then it's actually slower than a 1.6GHz C2D Core from today. As all video processing is done in CPU thats where the issue generally is.

But if you give use what CORE your P4 is made from we might be able to go from there. (ie if it is fast enough then some settings to try, if not then well your SOL)
What other info should I give?

Anyhow, my friend has an amd athlon 2600ghz with 512mb ram and it runs 720p fine. So I don't see why there should be a problem with my set-up.
LRa Wrote:What other info should I give?

Anyhow, my friend has an amd athlon 2600ghz with 512mb ram and it runs 720p fine. So I don't see why there should be a problem with my set-up.

Try running CPU-Z or CPUID and get what core your using. P4 Doesn't tell us anything.

Also is your friend using XBMC? Or are you just focusing on the file?
cold_realms Wrote:Try running CPU-Z or CPUID and get what core your using. P4 Doesn't tell us anything.

Also is your friend using XBMC? Or are you just focusing on the file?

P4 531.
He's using xbmc.
LRa Wrote:P4 531.
He's using xbmc.

Doing a quick search i see it's a 90nm part with Hyperthreading ...that tells me it is fairly out of date (Jun 2004). It takes a moderate dual core to do 720 on xbmc. As far as your friends Athlon doing it, well in those days AMD quite well out performed the old P4's. I suspect it has to do with that.

You might want to try to disable the HT and see if that improves things. Other than that your going to be waiting till they release GPU HA.
Thank you.
One thing that you might want to try is see if you can playback 720 Video's that are encoded with mp3 or ac3 audio (as opposed to aac....)

See how that does for you.
cold_realms Wrote:One thing that you might want to try is see if you can playback 720 Video's that are encoded with mp3 or ac3 audio (as opposed to aac....)

See how that does for you.

I'll do that.
But anyhow, I tried playing the same files as my friend's pc.
LRa Wrote:I'll do that.
But anyhow, I tried playing the same files as my friend's pc.

I know, but his cpu is better than yours Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem running 720p files on a 720p capable pc0