[Solved] Shutdown not working
Just finished building my htpc.. Big Grin, I have used the ubuntu minimal guide here on the forums for the setup:

SVN version: 19894
Using PM.HD skin

xbmc.log Wrote:00:45:10 T:3050477456 M:1940750336 ERROR: DBus: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy - org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions no <-- (action, result)

When I press "s" and choose shutdown it throws me back to tty instead of shutting down the system.
You shouldn't use the minimal for amongst this reason, you need to setup policy-kit stuff.

We have added an xsession, so usual Ubuntu with GDM and XBMC session should be enough for people wanting to do it themself, xbmc live is for the rest Smile

And I'm fairly certain it says in the guide how to setup policykit.

Also that perticular failure you get should even get a nice little popup on screen with why it won't work. hint. SSH logged in? if not then you have started XBMC really wrong and spawned multiple logins.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:You shouldn't use the minimal for amongst this reason, you need to setup policy-kit stuff.

We have added an xsession, so usual Ubuntu with GDM and XBMC session should be enough for people wanting to do it themself, xbmc live is for the rest Smile

And where is the fun in that?? Big Grin I intend to get this bad boy to install in the absolute minimal possible, but seeing as this is my main htpc I just want to get it simple enough for the missus. Big Grin

Topfs2 Wrote:And I'm fairly certain it says in the guide how to setup policykit.

Also that perticular failure you get should even get a nice little popup on screen with why it won't work. hint. SSH logged in? if not then you have started XBMC really wrong and spawned multiple logins.

nope no popup.

Might have been connected via ssh at the time.

No only one login, auto tty login which starts x, which starts xbmc.

I'll have a poke about for the policy.

FYI: says nothing about the policykit in the guide..

EDIT: found the popup, it only gets displayed for Suspend & hibernate (it hints that its because a user is logged in but I wasn't) might be better to say "Failed due to lack of permissions or another user is logged in"
Cheers
I hate people who solve an issue and dont tell people HOW they solved it, so here is the answer:
Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions
Topfs2 Wrote:And I'm fairly certain it says in the guide how to setup policykit.

Pvt_Ryan Wrote:FYI: says nothing about the policykit in the guide..

Just for clarification for other people.
Pvt_Ryan was not using the minimal install guide from the wiki (topfs2 is right, this one is dealing with policykit), but some other guide from the forum....
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38804
This one ^^
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:EDIT: found the popup, it only gets displayed for Suspend & hibernate (it hints that its because a user is logged in but I wasn't) might be better to say "Failed due to lack of permissions or another user is logged in"

Well if you have gone for mingetty and such sometimes the logged in user leaves active console, this counts as multiple logins. But I agree that the popup needs tweaking with the message, will try to make it more clear.
It's damn hard making good error messages Smile

Great that you got it working.

@olympia Thx! I thought he was refering to that one.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:Well if you have gone for mingetty and such sometimes the logged in user leaves active console, this counts as multiple logins. But I agree that the popup needs tweaking with the message, will try to make it more clear.
It's damn hard making good error messages Smile

Great that you got it working.

@olympia Thx! I thought he was refering to that one.

Cheers,
Tobias

Well if you tweak the messages, I'll gladly test 'em for you.. There's nothing quite like the thrill of running unstable code.. Tongue

edit: running on ubuntu 9.04 - kernel 2.6.29

you can get 2.6.29 from:
http://www.ramoonus.nl/2009/03/24/linux-...ian-linux/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] Shutdown not working0