Black&white screen with TV-out
I've installed the minimal XBMCbuntu, according to the guide by Luigi. Since I have an old ATI card, x1250, I have to use the open source driver "radeon" (AMD don't support in anymore).

After a large ammount of effort, I finally got the driver working and also with TV-out (s-video -> CRT). The problem is that the drivers only support ntsc-standard (not pal). Since my TV is european, it's a pal-TV. I'm 99% certain that it is supposed to support ntsc signal aswell, and it kinda says so in the manual. But I still only get a black&white screen.

Has anyone experienced something similar and might be able to help me? I have previously used TV-out with this computer without problem.

My xorg.conf...
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Xpress 1250"
        Driver          "radeon"
#        BusID           "PCI:1:5:0"
#        Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
#        Option          "BusType" "PCI"
        Option          "ColorTiling" "on"
        Option          "DMAForXv" "true"
        Option          "ATOMTvOut" "TRUE"
        Option          "TVDACLoadDetect" "TRUE"
        Option          "TVStandard" "ntsc"
        Option          "monitor-S-video" "TV-monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "PreferredMode" "1024x768"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Xpress 1250"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
EndSection
Can someone please move this to the Linux-section? Confused
Just to verify:
Does the screen always display black and white no matter what is on screen from the computer?

If so, then I would suggest trying a different cable. S-Video splits color data from chroma data, so that colors are preserved better than a composite cable. Typically, if you get no color and only chroma (black/white), then it could be something with the tv/computer connectors, or the cable itself (ie, a bent/broken pin in the connector on the tv/computer or cable ends).
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
joshuass Wrote:Just to verify:
Does the screen always display black and white no matter what is on screen from the computer?

If so, then I would suggest trying a different cable. S-Video splits color data from chroma data, so that colors are preserved better than a composite cable. Typically, if you get no color and only chroma (black/white), then it could be something with the tv/computer connectors, or the cable itself (ie, a bent/broken pin in the connector on the tv/computer or cable ends).

No, I only get black/white screen when the linux-gfx-drivers "kick-in". The bios-logo during boot has colour. And tv-out from my laptop works fine, using the same cable.

This is why I suspect it has something to do with the signal the gfx-card "choose" to send, using these drivers and settings. Maybe a setting in xorg.conf, or even perhaps on the TV... Huh
What kind of connection do you use now? Composite? Really sounds like an NTSC-PAL issue to me. You could give an S-Video cable a try since it doesn't suffer from NTSC-PAL color-encoding issues....
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
arnova Wrote:What kind of connection do you use now? Composite? Really sounds like an NTSC-PAL issue to me. You could give an S-Video cable a try since it doesn't suffer from NTSC-PAL color-encoding issues....

I use a s-video cable, connected to a scart-adapter (see pictures...)

http://z.about.com/d/hometheater/1/7/C/9/svideo2.JPG
http://www.coloredhome.com/video/adaptad..._scart.JPG

You're saying this type of cable should be indifferent to pal/ntsc?
Well, for the most part since the difference between PAL & NTSC is mainly color encoding and since S-video has seperate chroma/luma it doesn't need color encoding so the only difference would be the refresh-frequency (50Hz vs. 60Hz) but that shouldn't be at play here. Try connecting with composite instead and see what happens then...
I don't have a composite connector on my computer. Would it be the same to use a s-video -> composite adaptor?
This *could* work but it's dependend on too many factors. Just give it a try and see how it goes...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black&white screen with TV-out0