9.11 - Fullscreen Window results in Screen Tearing
Small/Strange problem I hope someone might be able to help with. Running Windows XP, Nvidia 8800.

When Using the 'FullScreen Window rather than true fullscreen option' on my second display, I get very noticeable screen tearing. (tried all the various vsync options, but nothing helps) If I change this to True Fullscreen, the problem is fixed, but it then means I can no longer use any applications on my main monitor without XBMC losing focus on the second. If i then change it back again to 'Fullscreen Window rather than true fullscreen', everything is fine. No more screen tearing, and things work just how I want them.

Unfortunately I need to do this every single time I start XBMC though, so was wondering if anyone knows a fix to this problem. Or perhaps there is a shortcut key that can automatically switch between true fullscreen and fullscreen as a window? (which would save me going into the settings each time I start)

Thanks for any replies.
Hi there,

I have the exact same problem as you've indicated. Today I stumbled upon a work around. As you've noted, tearing is not present in Full Screen Mode on the second monitor. However, in this mode, the moment you try to work on the primary monitor, XBMC is minimized.

By using full screen window, it forces XBMC to stay open on the second monitor, but tearing ensues.

The standard settings I have are the following:
1. Adjust display refresh rate to match video (checked ON)
2. Sync playback to display (checked ON)
3. Enable VSYNC

The trick I've discovered is the following:
1. Open XBMC on the second monitor in Full Screen Mode (make sure "Use a fullscreen window" is not checked on).
2. Now goto System Settings and check on "Use a fullscreen window"
3. Now select "Blank other displays" (this won't actually blank out your primary monitor at this point. However, it will when you restart XBMC, and you will need to go through this process again).
4. Do NOT restart XBMC. You should now be able to view your video tear free and work on the primary monitor as well.

You will need to go through this process again once you close out XBMC and restart.

Hopefully, in future builds, the developers figure how to get this work without this work around.

Thanks to the efforts of all the developers for creating such a nice piece of software.
Hi guys and thanks for this great program. Didn't want to make a new topic so im going to borrow this veery old topic.

Im using XBMC in my second monitor and that is Sony V5500 TV. My videos are playing very choppy and laggy with the default settings. They start playing fine and smooth only when i click "blank other displays" in XBMC. Does anyone know why they work only when i blank my other display? I would like to use that first display too.

I have tried to enable VSYNC but it did not help.

I have a GTS 250 and a quad core processor so my computer should be able to handle XBMC.

thanks!
Smile 
jun4238 Wrote:Hi there,

I have the exact same problem as you've indicated. Today I stumbled upon a work around. As you've noted, tearing is not present in Full Screen Mode on the second monitor. However, in this mode, the moment you try to work on the primary monitor, XBMC is minimized.

By using full screen window, it forces XBMC to stay open on the second monitor, but tearing ensues.

The standard settings I have are the following:
1. Adjust display refresh rate to match video (checked ON)
2. Sync playback to display (checked ON)
3. Enable VSYNC

The trick I've discovered is the following:
1. Open XBMC on the second monitor in Full Screen Mode (make sure "Use a fullscreen window" is not checked on).
2. Now goto System Settings and check on "Use a fullscreen window"
3. Now select "Blank other displays" (this won't actually blank out your primary monitor at this point. However, it will when you restart XBMC, and you will need to go through this process again).
4. Do NOT restart XBMC. You should now be able to view your video tear free and work on the primary monitor as well.

You will need to go through this process again once you close out XBMC and restart.

Hopefully, in future builds, the developers figure how to get this work without this work around.

Thanks to the efforts of all the developers for creating such a nice piece of software.

cheers for this tip, i managed to sort it out ages ago then a windows reinstall messed that up, this works perfect!!Smile
Backbone Wrote:Hi guys and thanks for this great program. Didn't want to make a new topic so im going to borrow this veery old topic.

Im using XBMC in my second monitor and that is Sony V5500 TV. My videos are playing very choppy and laggy with the default settings. They start playing fine and smooth only when i click "blank other displays" in XBMC. Does anyone know why they work only when i blank my other display? I would like to use that first display too.

I have tried to enable VSYNC but it did not help.

I have a GTS 250 and a quad core processor so my computer should be able to handle XBMC.

thanks!

I have a very similar spec and im having great results with the current nightly build (altho use at ur own peril!!!!) DXVA2 is running superbly well so maybe just an option but do a full backup first! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
9.11 - Fullscreen Window results in Screen Tearing0