2TB Seagate HD for $85 @ newegg
Here it is http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/jan..._-E0-_-HDD

Use Coupon code EMCKJKD22

-Wes
Is that hard drive fast enough for hd movies with high bit rates? Very good price but only 5900 rpm....
Catchlight Wrote:Is that hard drive fast enough for hd movies with high bit rates? Very good price but only 5900 rpm....

Yes. That drive could stream two full Blu Ray rips at once easily. Modern "green" drives are actually pretty fast.

two is a bit of an understatement Smile

that drive benchmarks on average at around 100MB/s reads.

Your average bluray title without any recompression is around 30Mb/s (some less, some more). If you are watching scene rips you're talking way less even.

Anyway - 800/30 = 26 ishy?

Now 26 is probably an overstatement since outside benchmarking apps, real world non sequential random reads are probably a bit less but still .. you could stream to an army off any modern HD.
$79 after mail-in rebate... I have the same drive already and it works great.

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
I have a bunch of the WD Caviar Green drives in my WHS box and I'm honestly wishing I had gotten something a little more expensive. My transfer speeds fluctuate a great deal and are rarely anything in excess of 60MB/s over gigabit LAN. I have attempted to troubleshoot my file transfer speed issue to the best of my ability and have not been able to come up with anything.

I've also been reading that the WD Green drives are horrible for RAID purposes should one decide to go that route.
misterpink Wrote:two is a bit of an understatement Smile

Agreed, but that is all consumer networks (even gigabit ones) can really handle, and I didn't want someone to buy one expecting to pull 10 HD streams off it over a network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2TB Seagate HD for $85 @ newegg0