Solved Song sorting by dates (TDOR, TDRC, TDRL) not just YEAR
Hmmm, I was really looking for the phrase to use Smile  Perhaps Release date should be re-release date ?   It all depends really on how accurate your tags are and how skins will display things.

@antisuck Yes, original release date matters to me too, hence the attempt.  It really bugs me that my Led Zepplin albums for instance, are shown by the dates of release of the CD's I bought and not in 'proper' chronological order.  Well, now they are.  The tags I have used are the correct ones according to the tagging specs for each type.  For MP3, TDOR appears to have become the date of release for Podcasts which isn't really what the spec suggests but thats what my research tends to confirm. This will support WMA tags, Vorbis, Ape and ID3v2.3 & v2.4. MP4 will stay the same as it is now, simply because there is no formal spec released by Apple and although I have tried to find an 'original date' type tag in the Apple dev docs I was unsuccessful.

If anybody has an m4a type file with an original date and a release date in it that their tagger can read/write if they wouldn't mind sharing it, I could possibly work out the tag name with it.

Teaser screenshots!

What Kodi does now.

What (hopefully) it'll do in the future.

Album info showing both original and release dates. (Dates are localized to whatever format you have told Kodi to use).

Please note that although this is working, I still need to get the internal design approved and tidy up my code before I can submit a PR to the team so it'll be a while before it (hopefully) makes it into v19.
Ah... if you're looking for a display string... I saw something - I think it was in your skin - that showed "RM2014" for a 2014 re-release. That is exactly the way I label my own folders and from the prefix one would immediately discern that it's not the original release date. While RM is short for "Remastered" not all re-releases are Remasters... maybe RR2014 would be a compromise?
Just to say loudly and publically that I am greatful that @black_eagle has picked this up and run with it, something I have wanted to get done for several years and just not found the time to do it.  I'm about give it a good poke about, aim to have it in v19 for sure, but that could be tough on him because I can be picky as hell about music library feature design (code standards is someone else's beef). No one mistake that for grumpy team attitude, if I am seen to be critical it is about getting as much feature richness implemented in a robust way as possible. He did great with the boxed sets feature, so I'm sure we will get there.
It's another of those things that I always felt was lacking so I just thought I'd give it a go Smile  I just appreciate the fact that Dave lets me kick around in his sandpit from time to time.  That and I enjoy it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17437 
  • Allows you to use original release date or album re-release year for sorting in the GUI.
  • Original date can be used in smart playlists to get, for instance, all albums originally released between 1970 & 1975. 
  • New setting to only use original release date. When enabled Kodi will use the date/year of the original release date and ignore the album release date throughout the GUI.
  • Original dates are localized to your short date setting, with option via AS to use ISO 8601 dates instead.
  • Includes support for Kodi to read and sort/filter (via smart playlists or nodes) bpm tags.

Massive thanks due once again to @DaveBlake for his help and assistance and for just putting up with me in general.
(2020-03-06, 09:58)black_eagle Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17437 
  • Allows you to use original release date or album re-release year for sorting in the GUI.
  • Original date can be used in smart playlists to get, for instance, all albums originally released between 1970 & 1975. 
  • New setting to only use original release date. When enabled Kodi will use the date/year of the original release date and ignore the album release date throughout the GUI.
  • Original dates are localized to your short date setting, with option via AS to use ISO 8601 dates instead.
  • Includes support for Kodi to read and sort/filter (via smart playlists or nodes) bpm tags.

Massive thanks due once again to @DaveBlake for his help and assistance and for just putting up with me in general. 
Any possibility of kicking off a win64 test build with this PR?

scott s.
(2020-03-06, 19:57)scott967 Wrote: Any possibility of kicking off a win64 test build with this PR?

Not something I can do Scott, but Dave mentioned to me that he would be doing this in the next few days so I guess we need to wait on him.  (Unless you know how to do it of course).
A win64 build of PR17437 will be in the test builds folder in about 1hour @scott967
Got it.  thanks.

scott s.
Ping @ronie Could you update the Changes to the Skinning Engine for Kodi Matrix thread with with the new infolabels please when you get time.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17437

Cheers.
done, thx for the heads-uo!
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2020-03-11, 01:23)ronie Wrote: done, thx for the heads-uo!
So far I've only been able to do some go-path testing but no problems uncovered.  But I'm not sure what the best practice is for ID3 2.3 tags?  Right now I have TYER YYYY and TDRC YYYY-MM-DD for release date but not so sure of original date?  Meanwhile I also have APE tag YEAR YYYY-MM-DD and not sure what takes precedence?

scott s.
(2020-03-11, 01:54)scott967 Wrote: I'm not sure what the best practice is for ID3 2.3 tags?  Right now I have TYER YYYY and TDRC YYYY-MM-DD for release date

Are you sure ?  TDRC is a 2.4 tag, replacing the equivalent TYER + TDAT tags in 2.3.  Ape tags only override ID3 tags if you set them to in AS.xml as far as I know. TORY/TDOR (v2.3/v2.4) are the frames for original release date. The ape equivalent is ORIGINALYEAR (takes a full date AFAIK).

Oh, forgot to say earlier in the thread, but if you want to use the iso dates from the tags in the gui, rather than the localized dates, then you can add
xml:

<musiclibrary>
    <useisodates>true</useisodates>
</musiclibrary>

to your AS.xml file.
@black_eagle,

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<node order="7" type="filter" visible="True">
       <label>Yearly Releases</label>
       <icon></icon>
       <content>albums</content>
       <match>all</match>
       <group>originalyears</group>
       <order direction="descending">originaldate</order>
</node>

I am trying to create a Yearly Releases Widget (Categories) with the smartplaylist above. Unfortunately, it doesn't give the desired result. It does group the albums by originalyears, however it does not honour the sortby pararmeter. It appears ascending instead of descending.

A similar problem occurs with the item below. I want to replace Latest Added with Latest Releases. The results seems random

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<node order="2" type="filter" visible="True">
       <label>Latest Releases</label>
       <icon></icon>
       <content>albums</content>
       <match>all</match>
       <group>albums</group>
       <limit>100</limit>
       <order direction="descending">originaldate</order>
</node>

Can suggest a way that I could achieve my objective.

Cheers,
LongMan
@LongMan Nice spot Smile

From a quick test with v18 on one of my Pi's, the same thing happens with 'years'.  As a quick work-around, you can change the view from ascending to descending in the left side-blade and Kodi should remember the setting each time you open the view.  However, I do think that that is sub-optimal and that the order should follow the specified one else there is no point in being able to do so.

I've added it to my "Things to look into" list.

BTW, this also seems to be the case with video playlists which (using years) are also always sorted in ascending order to begin with.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Song sorting by dates (TDOR, TDRC, TDRL) not just YEAR0