What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo?
I'm a rookie at writing plugins and I recently made them public and pushed them on github:
https://github.com/nightflyer73?tab=repositories

The first thing that is not very clear is if my plugins are acceptable for the official repo. The following sentences are a bit vague: "All files must be free and legal to distribute. The add-on must not violate any known copyright laws - if in doubt, let us know and we'll look into it for you. " . I imagine that some developers would not spend their time asking (and BTW where should they ask?).

I really think the way to push an update to the official repo is too cumbersome. It should be as easy as to making a git push. You should trust your plugin developers otherwise they will go away and they'll start their own repo.

If you want to check their code quality (a good think IMHO), it could be a good idea to have a peer review process before the developer can push his plugin to the official repository, like it is done in many Linux distributions for RPM and DEB packages.

If you do not want developers to submit too frequent updates you should create an unstable repo, where the developers can push their updates as often as they write code and early adopters can test them and provide feedback before pushing to the stable repo. For example without testers I couldn't find a blocker issue affecting two of my plugins on Android and ATV, platforms I don't own and I rarely have access to.

And last but not least, you should also have some kind of bug reporting feature (bugzilla, trac, whatever) for the addons in the official repo. It's not easy for a developer to track the bugs reported in the forums.

Just my 2c, HTH.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo? - by nightflyer - 2013-03-02, 12:54
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo?1