[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)
(2014-04-28, 15:45)henricos Wrote: Great job @xhbl !

2 questions:

1) How should I setup "Audio output device" and "Passthrough output device" in each "Audio output" page? Does the passthrough really work?
In my case, I wanted to configure HDMI (stereo to TV) and SPDIF (passthrough to receiver) and set both devices pointing to HDMI in one page and both devices pointing to SPDIF on the other. It worked but I'm still confused how these settings are working together

2) Originally when the audio output is in passthrough mode and I try to change the volume I get a message saying that the volume needed to be set on the passthrough device. This was one way to confirm that the passthrough was really happening. But now, at least with my configuration, I always can change the volume (because one of my outputs is stereo). So… how the volume control works with this patch?

Thanks!

A:
----
1) "Passthrough output device" is for AC3,DTS/DolbyHD,DTSHD when you choose "Audio output" as SPDIF/HDMI, it will be disabled when you choose "Analog". In your case, for the HDMI (stereo to TV), you can choose "Audio output" as "Analog", thus "Passthrough output device" will be disabled. AC3,DTS/DolbyHD,DTSHD will be decoded as stereo PCM data by XBMC and then output to your TV, otherwise, there is a possibility of doing passthrough to your TV and if your TV does not support decoding of AC3,DTS/DolbyHD,DTSHD, you will get no sound output. What makes you confused is the "Audio output", you choose "Analog" does not mean you can not choose your TV HDMI device as "Audio output device". for the SPDIF output to AV receiver, you are right, both "Audio output device" and "Passthrough output device" can point to the same SPDIF output device. Within a single Audio Output setting page, "Audio output device" and "Passthrough output device" can not work at the same time, which one would work depends on the audio format and "Audio output" you choose. if you point them to the same device, that means this device can not only handle passthrough audio data but also XBMC decoded PCM data.

2)volume control will work as long as there is at least one stereo/analog(more precisely, decoding handled by XBMC) exists. if both are set to passthrough mode, it will show a message that it's not working.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PATCH] Return of the Dual Audio Output support (Frodo...) - by xhbl - 2014-04-29, 20:34
Thank you! - by OCDHD - 2014-06-26, 03:56
Works great! Thank you! - by britishopen93 - 2014-07-18, 12:43
RPi Openelec.. how to.. - by kramegna - 2014-12-03, 17:27
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)9