Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
Hi, first of all thanks for the hard work you're putting into this.
I'm currently using Gotham on Windows but I want to switch to your Ubuntu setup (OpenELEC is not an option because I need a "full" OS).

I'm following this thread for quite a time now and I see that you're currently having problems with the VAAPI Renderer.
I think i found some other "bugs"... or maybe it's supposed to be that way, which is why I'm bothering you with this ...

With VAAPI Renderer turned on, it somehow messes with the black and white levels, which means I'm getting a black crush and a butchered grayscale.
My TV is calibrated using the files from here
The only way (and I think I tested all combinations) to get a proper output is:
Output Full RGB levels
activating the limited 16-235 output inside Kodi
disable VAAPI Renderer
Under these circumstances I get BTB, WTW and a nice, smooth grayscale.

That's the first "bug".
I get it that you currently suggest to deactivate the VAAPI Renderer anyway, which is fine for me (CPU load is still very low on my i3-4130T HSW)

The next "bug" is as follows:
with VAAPI Renderer turned off, somehow the Deinterlacing goes nuts.
I'm using yadif (Kodi set to "Deinterlace") and have lots of R1 DVDs muxed into mkv.
It's hard to explain so bear with me, but I give it a try:
When watching a movie straight from the start (the studio logo comes on) then I get 47.95 fps throuhout the movie and the deinterlacing looks really bad.
If I stop the movie and resume from the last position (i.e. after the first chapter or whatever) then I get 23.98 fps, which should be right for R1 DVDs.

What I think is that if the first few frames are not from a 24fps source (like the studio logos) then yadif doesn't work right or it falls back to another mode.

Sorry if it's written so confusing. Since I'm working in IT-support I should know better Wink

If you need any logs please tell me which settings I should use while generating them.

Messages In This Thread
EDID / HDMI Handshake workaround - by Ney - 2014-10-29, 13:58
RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - by rouladenkoenig - 2014-11-28, 20:13
Thank you! - by Sta11ion - 2015-01-02, 01:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416