ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding
Hello everyone. I'm interested in working on Kodi at this year's GSoC. Going through the project proposals I noticed that no one opted for implementing the transcoding functionality so far. Still I would find it important to have such a feature when it comes to streaming video/audio to a mobile device that is potentially missing the required codec/capabilities. Therefore an option to choose the format to receive would be very helpful.

My proposal is the following:

Transcoding Support

Name: Mark Muth
forum/e-mail: [email protected]

Summary:
Support for on-the-fly transcoding of media on the Kodi server makes it possible to stream content to low-profile devices such as embedded and mobile systems.

How will I achieve this:
Using existing software such as ffmpeg, which is already been used within Kodi, the server can be extended to use available video and audio encoders to perform transcoding.

What will the project focus on:
There should be layer to support transcoding prior to streaming the content. The requesting client should have the possibility to request the content as-is or in any supported format.

Benefits:
Users would be able to enjoy their content on many more devices that might currently lack support for the contents format.

Goals:
1.1 A first step would be to correctly integrate a software package with transcoding capabilities and to make use of it within the Kodi server.
1.2 Also an additional layer for transcoding needs to be inserted before the actual streaming takes place. A first draft would forward the content as-is (without performing actual transcoding)
1.3 The API has to be extended for requesting a certain file format/codec before actual streaming of the content begins.
2. Now the previous steps would be brought together to perform real transcoding.

What does it touch in Kodi:
Not quite sure how Kodi is structured yet. But obviously more functionality of ffmpeg or possibly other transcoding software needs to be aggregated. And the streaming API needs to be enhanced.

Requirements:
I think good programming skills in C++ are mandatory.
Knowledge of Kodi and ffmpeg preferable.

Any feedback on this is welcomed. To me this sound like a fair piece of work for GSoC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Mark

Code: https://github.com/MarkMuth/xbmc/commits/gsoc2015-2

Messages In This Thread
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by mANm - 2015-03-16, 22:37
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-07-04, 18:22
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-01, 23:51
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 10:27
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 11:30
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 14:05
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-10-22, 10:57
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2016-03-03, 11:09