Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi
[quote='steve1977' pid='1961837' dateline='1426988630']
I believe above could solve the issue, but is a fairly complex solution. Let me start with a description and then share a potential solution:

ISSUE
In MBZ/Picard, the "artist" tag is NOT the equivalent of the "MB Artist Id". Actually, the "artists" tag is equivalent to "MB Artist ID". Let me explain this with a simple example taken from MBZ:
Artist: Bob Dylan & The Band
Artists: Bob Dylan / The Band
MB Artist ID: 72c536dc-7137-4477-a521-567eeb840fa8 / 8c90ad8c-9150-4c51-a1eb-342232e99d06
You can see above that the "artist" tag does not include a system separator. Artists are only separated with "/" or ";" in the "artists tag" and the "MB artist ID tag".
]/quote]

Yes. Musicbrainz defines what they call "artist credit". I can see some value if you want to make a query of the form "show me all songs on which artist1 is featured". But other than that, the Picard "artists" tag is redundant with the MB Artist ID tag. Since by definition the MBID is a unique identifier for an artist, they have to be the same. The difference being the possibility of "aliases" but it seems to me that the "override tag" setting handles that -- unselected you get aliases, selected you get the MB standardized name.

Further, I see no reason why a system separator can't be used in the existing artist tag. So if the artist is Simon & Garfunkel it's treated as a single artist and there should be a single MB Artist ID and in MyMusicSongs it shows as Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water. If instead the artist is Simon / Garfunkel there should be 2 MB Artist IDs (with possibility of null entry) and in MyMusicSongs it shows as Simon / Garfunkel -- Bridge Over Troubled Water. In the case that only the single MB Artist ID is provided (for Simon & Garfunkel), MyMusicSongs still shows the same thing. But what you get in MyMusicNav for artist differs depending on the "override tag" switch. With override off, you get 2 artists, Simon and Garfunkel. With override on you get 2 artists, Simon & Garfunkel (based on single MBID) and Garfunkel (with no MBID). That can be considered "wrong" but it's due to user's bad tagging, not Kodi. Note that even in this case, MyMusicSongs still shows Simon / Garfunkel (override tag should not affect "song artist" in the Kodi database).

This way there is no need for new tags that are only directly supported in Picard.

scott s.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - by scott967 - 2015-03-22, 23:24
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi1