Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-05-14, 15:11)fritsch Wrote: Progressive full frames are not meant to be deinterlaced :-) You have luck that the deinterlacer (mcdi or madi) mostly "ignore" those internally. If you switch to VAAPI-BOB - you will see great pain.

Thanks, I'll give it a try, and if I don't feel like I have any big negative problems I'll leave it that way.

This article - while old - is rather eye opening regarding some stuff that broadcasters do.

I can understand one program being interlaced and another progressive, including each ad having its own mode, but some of this stuff is just plain dumb, like parts of the same show alternating between interlaced and progressive, and even parts of the same frame, where some are interlaced, and others progressive!

I am not a programmer, so I don't even know how to find out, but you know if the API allows plugins to set interlace/scaling options when used? What would be ideal is if the MythTV PVR plugin had an option to force interlacing to "on" whenever it plays (and I'd just take the hit this involves on progressive broadcast content), and then I could leave it to auto for everything else.

Personally I don't mind going in and changing it manually, but you know how it is when you live with non-technical people who say things like "I don't understand why we can't just have regular TV like everyone else". Stuff has to be as transparent and non-computer-like as a set top box, or they get annoyed.

Thanks again!

--Matt
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD

Messages In This Thread
EDID / HDMI Handshake workaround - by Ney - 2014-10-29, 13:58
Thank you! - by Sta11ion - 2015-01-02, 01:51
RE: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 - by mattlach - 2015-05-14, 15:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416