Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
(2015-06-29, 23:03)brawlman Wrote: I wasn't able to install Openelec ver 5.0.8 onto the NUC no matter what I tried. Tried forcing the NUC to load from USB, but wouldn't load or start the setup... (Feedback needed)
My plans are to solely use this NUC for Openelec and to run Kodi 14.2 but again everything I've tried has not worked...
I used the same flash drive that I set up my Asus Chromebox running ver 4.2.1. More below with LAN connection issues...

probably because you have the NUC set for UEFI booting / don't have legacy booting enabled, and the USB install media you have is bootable under legacy boot mode only.

Quote:1) How are you suppose to Download/load Kodi when all there is on their "Download" section for Linux (isn't this what OpenELEC falls under?) is "Help" & "Guide"
Under "Guide" it gives me the directions to "Upgrade" but it isn't as straightforward as the "Kodi Chromebox Wiki" in getting into the Developer mode. Everything points back to OpenELEC, but can't find anything to do with Kodi...
Ctl, Alt, F2 on reboot of NUC from OpenELEC doesn't do anything... Is there another way to set this up? Is there a hidden way to get into a developer mode with the NUC?

One doesn't download Kodi for Linux the same way you would for Windows, Mac, Android, etc. You add the Kodi repo as a source in your Linux distro and install from there. OpenELEC is a linux distro that was developed solely to run Kodi, and as such you don't have to install Kodi separately, since it's intertwined with the OS.

"Developer mode" is a function of ChromeOS devices/firmware, has no relevance with a NUC.

Quote:2) OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-5.0.8.tar doesn't load and gave up trying from scratch and even tried to load after the OpenELEC 4.2.1 but will not update... (Again LAN issue...)

Download the 5.95.2 IMAGE version, write to USB using WIn32DiskImager. That will boot in UEFI mode on your NUC. You'll need to disable secure boot/fast boot in the BIOS.

Quote:3) I truly believe there's a LAN issue with the NUC that I have. I was able to download a movie in [removed] the first day after install, but after that nothing... Nothing downloads, and movies that worked played before, common movies, are not playing in wire or wireless... I called Intel NUC support and was told the drivers will not work for Linux...
Am I to believe that all the NUC specs are a hype and a bust if loaded outside of Windows? I might have to give it a shot and find out...
I also noticed EVERY YouTube video that I seen with Kodi tutorial and NONE were with OpenELEC... They were primarily Windows, Rasberry PI, Ubuntu... Am I missing something?

NUCs work fine under Linux, esp under OpenELEC, but when running the latest/greatest hardware, sometimes you have to do manual updates etc under Linux to have everything fully supported. Anything you read in this thread for the i5 NUCs is almost certainly relevant for your i7 as well, since the hardware is otherwise identical.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU) - by Matt Devo - 2015-06-29, 23:34
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6