NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-08-20, 08:14)inestima Wrote: What's everyone's problem with 23.976 being displayed at 24? I can understand 3:2 pulldown on 60hz (trivial), but this is ludicrous.
Lots of us see a frame drop or repeat every 40" or so, which is what you get with mismatched 23.976/24.000 content and refresh. I find it quite annoying and distracting.

This can be mitigated with the option of matching playback to display, but then you have to cope with dropping.duping audio frames or resampling, as the audio vs video rate is then wrong and has to be fixed somehow.

Personally I don't see the point in not just getting it right in the first place. Given that there are lots of platforms that do 23.976 and 24.000 properly, why compromise? It is one of those things that is worth getting right.

Quote:As is "HD audio".. Do you guys really think you can hear the difference? Thousands of audio industry pros and consumers were tested with CD quality vs 96/192kHz, and their results were the same as flipping a coin.. And you guys arent even devs! There's gotta be more pressing features for the devs to work on.

HD Audio isn't about high sampling rate (there are relatively few 96 and 192kHz HD Audio Blu-ray releases, most are 48kHz 16 bit or 48kHz 24 bit) - it isn't 48 vs 96/192. Personally I'm not convinced by 96/192kHz (and can see that it can introduce all sorts of nasty harmonics and artefacts that could make it sound worse if not implemented properly) The argument for HD Audio is about lossy compression vs lossless compression. It's the same argument as FLAC/ALAC lossless vs MP3/AAC lossy compression for CD rips.

Whether people can hear the difference between FLAC/ALAC and MP3/AAC or whether they can hear the difference between Dolby True HD/DTS HD MA and DD/DTS is the question. In most situations on most content I suspect most people won't hear the difference between 1.5Mbs DTS and a DTS HD MA track, nor the difference between 640k Dolby Digital and a Dolby True HD track. However in some situations, with some content, some people will. I you have Lossless HD Audio tracks available, why would you not want to listen to them? You are guaranteed that they won't have compression artefacts on any content - as they are losslessly compressed. If the DD or DTS track is lower bitrate than 640k/1.5Mbs respectively, then you are more likely to hear the difference.

It's a bit like selecting an iTunes 256k AAC version of a track rather than the original CD...

If you are watching re-encodes just in stereo on a TV then the issues are less relevant. If you are watching lossless Blu-ray rips via a decent AVR, there is good reason to get 23.976 and HD Audio right.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by noggin - 2015-08-20, 11:04
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9