[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer
Just adding my 2 cents..

I've been using XBMC / KODI for a very long time, first on Linux and more recently on Android. I have been reading the forums for some time but only recently joined.

Why? Because it's a pretty hostile place.

Some of the key members of the community are incredibly rude to people and the "if you don't like it go start your own media software / forum" attitude is really not conducive to a good community.

I've been trying to understand the source code in hopes of eventually being able to help with small patches, but I realized I would need help from experienced developers to really get the whole picture and I'm not sure that would happen.

I feel that if you were to actually post a job opening for a developer it would read:

Must have 10+ years experience developing XBMC / KODI and must be at least as familiar with the whole source code as our most experienced developers, ideally more.
Must be willing to accept that patches may be rejected for no obvious reason and without explanation (and sometimes rude comments).

.. going to be hard to attract new developers like that. That might actually not be true, but to a non-KODI-developer, that is how it looks from the outside.

Having said that, I know it's not as black and white as that. In the end, I am incredibly grateful to everyone in the KODI community who make this amazing software possible, from the long time developers, through those who added things then moved on, to the moderators, wiki maintainers and users helping each other here. I'm sure this will pass and KODI (or maybe KODI & SPMC) will continue to grow into something even more impressive.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] /me resigning as Android maintainer - by Gothicawakening - 2016-03-18, 09:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer3