[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer
(2016-03-18, 09:19)fritsch Wrote: Could you explain why this is "the brilliant chance" for kodi? Kodi is not about money, there is not a single cent involved for every release you download.

I don't see anything at all useful by implementing yet another two non standard APIs and doing the vendor's job to implement his non standard API.

So, can you summarize, why kodi should find / add manpower for that?

Correct, Kodi is not about money, its free and opensource.
That doesnt mean Kodi should have an attitude of "use so and so API or get stuffed, were not making money out of this anyway".

It is not the vendors job (RK), because the vendor is not affiliated with Kodi. The vendor is a chipset manufacturer, they can use whatever API they want to use, they should not be forced to change for 1 program. It is Kodis job to make its software compatible on popular platforms. Did microsoft do things to make Kodi work on Windows? or did Kodi make Kodi work on Windows? That's a bad example, but do you see where im getting at?
I am in no way, shape or form, defending RK. They are terrible when it comes to support, codecs and firmware. Just shedding some light at you from a different angle.

At the end of the day, Kodi is for the users, and the users of Kodi are more on Android, than on any other platform. It's not just RK based devices either, all Android users are forced to stick to 15.2, as every other version is terrible on Android. Read the forums, most people who tried 16 reverted back to 15.2.

Other platforms are enjoying Kodi 16 and soon 17, and were still on 15.2 if using amlogic, or 15 SPMC if using RK - which looks to be indefinitely (unless you have an NVIDIA SHIELD).

SPMC came along, and now its gone (in regards to full android support) - so in regards to your comment: "So, can you summarize, why kodi should find / add manpower for that?"
Sure, you dont need to find / add manpower to that - you had Koying, who was the manpower and doing all the work, voluntarily, and had his work rejected multiple times. And "Why"; because you have over hundreds of thousands of users on the Android platform, stuck on version 15, because the people in charge dont care for Android.

The point im trying to make, is not about market share and money, my point is that the people in charge of Kodi appear to be Windows/Linux users, and care very little about android. And my point with that is, you guys need to look outside the box, and support the majority of users who use android, because Kodi is for the users, not for vendors and chip makers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] /me resigning as Android maintainer - by r4nx7 - 2016-03-25, 09:06
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer3