WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2016-05-08, 09:40)medulin Wrote: hi all, I'm following this thread since I'm interested in wetek products..
I would know if the DVB-T2 tuner of the Play 2S is DVT-T2 H.264 or H.265/HEVC.

thanks

DVB-T2 tuners (*) have no codec flavour - there's no difference between a DVB-T2 tuner tuned to an MPEG2, H264/AVC or H265/HEVC data stream - they all deliver an MPEG2 transport stream to the video playback system. Whether this MPEG2 ts contains H264, H265 or MPEG2 makes no difference to the tuner and demodulator, it's only an issue to the PVR backend (it has to be aware of the H265/HEVC video stream flagging - and TV Headend is) and be able to decode the video (The SoC in the Play 2S should be fine)

My first generation PCTV 290e (the first USB DVB-T2 tuner on the market) had zero problems with the 2014 BBC DVB-T2 H265/HEVC UHD test broadcasts. Neither did my August T210v1 tuners. The recordings I made of these services using my PCTV290e and August T210v1 playback fine on my ODroid C2 and MiniMX (both S905 based)

The same is true of DVB-S2 tuners - even first gen models from the mid-00s will tune and demodulate H265/HEVC test services.

(*) A DVB-T2 tuner just tunes (and usually demodulates) the digital TV service. A set top box (which some call a 'tuner') includes a tuner, demodulator AND playback system. It's the playback system that is codec-dependent. That role is assumed by the AMLogic SoC VPU/GPU in the Play2S, not the tuner module.

Messages In This Thread
RE: WeTek's ** New ** AMLogic Mediaplayers - 2016 - Play2 - Streamer - HUB - by noggin - 2016-05-08, 09:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11