Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-08-19, 13:55)melhemk Wrote: I have been reading this thread for a while, and honestly all of the experts that I respect and love their posts everywhere are sadly starting to fall into contradictions, and giving gsmtech and others bullets to argue with.
I love WeTek products, and I agree 100% with the pricing in terms of support and firmware, but 2GB tradeoff for a slightly smaller size is just a bad engineering decision. People here are vouching that 1GB (and less) is enough for ELEC, yet discussing the costs of licenses which are for Android, and Android sure as hell could use more RAM, if not for KODI then for other Apps that WeTek is promoting as selling points for this product, that also need more storage..... see, it is a loop, and that is why I am saying that it is a bad engineering decision.

However that doesn't make it "overpriced" or "crap" products, there are no perfect products.

@gsmtech: you are saying a crappy Chinese box is 40$ - 50$ and you would throw it away after a year and get another one since it is not expensive, I think it is better to buy a 100$ WeTek hub that will serve for at least 2 to 3 years.

But seriously, let him enjoy his crappy Chinese products while we enjoy solid ones.

PS: Just wondering how much extra footprint the other RAM chip would need, I do not have a HUB, but can anyone send me the IC number of the RAM and Storage chips please?

@gsmtech: you are saying a crappy Chinese box is 40$ - 50$ and you would throw it away after a year and get another one since it is not expensive, I think it is better to buy a 100$ WeTek hub that will serve for at least 2 to 3 years.

The current device i have was bang on 40 dollars including shipping, (S905, 2Gb RAM, 16Gb Flash, Dual Band 2.4ghz/5ghz WiFi). I didn't say i would throw it away after a year and buy another one because it was inexpensive. I said that I can easily justify upgrading more often as costs are low, S912 devices are cming to market now for around 50 dollars, I can wait for these to become stable and supported and buy one next year if I wanted to, if not I keep my current S905 device. The choice is my'n, even if I did upgrade after a year my total outlay would be under 100 dollars in total for my 40 dollard for my orignka S905 device, plus 50 dolalrs or less for a new s912 device...= 90 dolllars. This is still less than the outlay of your "branded budget" devices with low RAM and Flash...I Have a Win - Win situation Smile

PS: Just wondering how much extra footprint the other RAM chip would need, I do not have a HUB, but can anyone send me the IC number of the RAM and Storage chips please?

It will be very intresting to see the answer to this question, the size excuse is a cop out for cost saving, nothing more. You are right on the money when you say less RAM and Less Storage is bad engineering design.

The same doesnt apply for PI's they are multi-use boards for a variety of purposes that just happen to be useful for kodi too, they are not custom designed tv boxes.So 1Gb RAM is not a design issue from the PI foundation. But you can see even in this sphere why people are saying buy a Odroid C2 instead...More RAM, Amlogic CPU, similar cost...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by 808? - 2016-06-14, 07:02
RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - by gsmtech - 2016-08-19, 14:21
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6