Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Hi all,
I've just ordered a Shield Pro and I have a few questions I'd like to have answers to before setting things up.

This will replace a dedicated Windows 7 Home Theater PC running Kodi Krypton, using the Amber skin. The Shield will connect via HDMI to a Denon AVR (HDCP 2.2 compliant, with appropriate cables), and will feed a 4k/HDR TV. I am very familiar with the Kodi interface, but not the Shield. Questions, then:

1) My media is stored in two locations: A NAS server in the basement, and two hard drives on my existing HTPC, which will be moved to a different room for a second TV. I'm guessing that adding a NAS share will be easy enough since it's NFS, but how can I add paths to the Windows based NTFS-formatted drive(s) across the LAN? The internal 500 GB HDD won't be nearly enough storage space for my media (I'm around 6 TB between all my devices).

2) Can I upscale my existing 720p and 1080i/p content to 4k using the Shield? Before answering, my TV has horrible upscaling natively. My Denon AVR also upscales, and I'm running my cable box through it, hence the scaler is turned on in the AVR.

3) Should I be running Krypton, Jarvis or SPMC on this new box? Will all my existing things like the Amber skin and add-ons function the same on the Shield as they do on the Windows PC with Krypton, and do I get this from the Play Store or do I have to side-load? I've heard conflicting things and this is all VERY new and strange to me.

4) If I want to watch Netflix or Amazon with the NVidia, do I have to drop out of Kodi entirely then use the Shield's UI to do these functions, or can they be integrated into the Kodi interface? I'm looking for a very simple wife-and-kids friendly solution here.

5) Anything else I should know when migrating to this platform? Please and thanks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - by DXer - 2017-03-17, 06:02
Rip CDs? - by crisp waffles - 2017-03-20, 21:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188