Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Hello

I don't understand the settings in the menu Digital sounds: PCM vs. HDMI vs. SPDIF in Android TV on the Mi Box, in parallel to Kodi audio settings. Let me explain what I tested:

- I have the Mi Box connected via HDMI to the TV device (this old TV does not seem to accept anything else than stereo for this input), and via optical SPDIF to a Marantz hi-fi amplifier (that also only accepts stereo)

- I use a  Kodi sample video file that is officially encoded in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1

I set Kodi channels to 5.1, and then:

1) I set audio passthrough ON, and disable all "[whatever] capable receiver" options. I get (as expected) normal sound on the TV and on the amplifier. The only concrete effect of the Digital sounds setting is that if set to SPDIF, there is no output to the HDMI TV. However whatever the setting there is output to the SPDIF amplifier.

2) I set audio passthrough ON, and enable "digital dolby plus capable receiver". I get (as expected, because my devices are stereo only) no sound on the TV nor the amplifier. The Digital sounds setting has no effect.

3) I set audio passthrough OFF. I get normal sound on the TV and on the amplifier. Hence in this case the audio output is stereo only. The only concrete effect of the Digital sounds setting is that if set to SPDIF, there is no output to the HDMI TV.

Questions:
* why with passthrough OFF Kodi doesn't output DD+, even if the channels are set to 5.1 ?
* what is the actual use of the Digital sounds setting ? It does not seem to select one of the physical outputs (because there is always sound on the SPDIF channel), and it does not seem to have an effect on audio decoding.

Thanks for any clarification!

Messages In This Thread
NO Teamviewer - broken ! - by aubrey - 2017-06-07, 17:12
RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - by Geeeronimo - 2017-10-19, 10:56
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21