Req NVDEC (NVDECODE API) support in Kodi to decode 4K/8K 10-bit/12-bit HDR on Linux?
FernetMenta, this statement is disappointing. Integrated graphics are limited in terms of 4K playback. Yes, Intel and AMD can decode 10 bit HEVC on Linux via VAAPI. But Intel does not have HDMI 2.0 so far so 4K at 30Hz only (there are 4K 60p movies already). Only the new Ryzens G with Vega have HDMI 2.0. Both options have issues with video RAM size limited to 2GB, not enough to play 4K HDR in certain scenarios.
For this purpose my HTPC was long built around low profile GTX 1050 with 4GB of RAM. But since VDPAU is effectively dead on nVidia (and 10 bit HEVC won't be supported in VDPAU) and with the advent of 4K HDR (10bit HEVC) MKVs, this made my Kodi/LibreELEC installation effectively useless for 4K. I switched (back) to Windows and there, sadly, you have now better options than Kodi to play back 4K/HDR.
Support for NVDEC was long awaited in ffmpeg. Such statements mean that Kodi isn't moving forward in certain areas (4K/HDR) but rest of the the world is.

I hope priorities will change.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVDEC (NVDECODE API) support in Kodi to decode 4K/8K 10-bit/12-bit HDR on Linux? - by klosz007 - 2018-03-04, 19:50
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVDEC (NVDECODE API) support in Kodi to decode 4K/8K 10-bit/12-bit HDR on Linux?1