Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
Thanks for the reply wrxtasy.
(2018-08-02, 09:58)wrxtasy Wrote: 4K HDR high bitrate Bluray REMUX video playback really needs 1000M / Gigabit Ethernet if you demand trouble free Kodi usage, especially after you skip around during video playback.
Plus large file listings appear in Kodi a lot quicker as well.
It's a good enough reason for the OSMC guys to release an upgraded - Gigabit Vero 4K+ vs the 100M / Fast Ethernet, older Vero 4K.
I actually looked at the Vero 4K+ and am still considering this as an option, although it's 2.5x the price of say the M8S Pro+, I do like the idea of a dedicated media box with a remote that is programmed to work with it. I also really like the look of the OS and am currently using the OSMC skin on my X7. That being said, I don't plan to have the box I buy connected to ethernet as I have no socket in the room. I also don't stream anything through Kodi add-ons, I only use local media on a USB3 HD so is this still a factor I should consider? I see even the Vero 4K+ still uses USB2 ports and a post in their forum said that 4k UHD would play just fine from a USB HD. My X7 plays 60Mbps files fine at the moment so I think I'm safe with whatever I get.

(2018-08-02, 09:58)wrxtasy Wrote: LibreELEC has a built in SAMBA server, you just connect your HDD's and network transfer files, and again this is much better with a Gigabit Ethernet media player. However you will still be dealing with the USB2 HDD data transfer bottleneck.
To be honest I'm using an old MBP to transfer files to my external USB3 HD but because it is so old it only has USB2 ports! I'm used to the slow transfer speed, just being able to transfer remotely will be an upgrade for me.
(2018-08-02, 09:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Next for a responsive box you want a Wireless remote...
...What you can do is get a MECOOL Pro L without the Voice remote and then buy a $10 compatible RF USB dongle Voice remote...
I don't care so much for the voice assistant so I like the idea of buying the box only as I have a ZIDOO V6 RF air mouse, will that work in LibreELEC? The remote you linked also looks good for $10.
(2018-08-02, 09:58)wrxtasy Wrote: For Android TV OS the S912 in the MECOOL Pro L has a much more capable, faster GPU vs the older one in the S905X MECOOL Pro+
It really does make a noticeable difference when using Android. (especially after a minor GPU MHz tweak !) 
Good to know thanks, looks like I'll stick with the M8S PRO L for an upgraded Android box and run LibreELEC on it to see how things go. I'm still definitely thinking about the Vero 4K+ too, I just like it Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by 808? - 2016-06-14, 07:02
RE: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - by natebizzle - 2018-08-02, 12:17
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6