Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature
How to assign art for multi-cd sets

These example screenshots use Estuary, however the principal is the same in any skin.

Firstly, navigate to your album/set. For illustration purposes, this example uses Queen's Greatest Hits set, consisting of Greatest Hits I, II & III.

If we open the set now, we just get a repeat of the set cover, like this. It's OK, but it would be better if each album had its proper original cover.

Open the album info dialog and click on 'Choose art' (You can do this on one of the 'albums' at this point, or go back and do it on the set, it doesn't matter).

We can see that the only art assigned so far is the thumbnail. This is the image used at the top level of the set (eg, the box the rest of the albums are in) and will be used for all the other albums if we don't set any more art, as we have already seen. If 'thumb1' etc doesn't exist, you will need to 'add art type' to the window. Note -: you can use an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file to create them for you (see section 2.6.5.1 Music library extra artwork). 

Navigate through the browser to where your art is and select it.  In this case, mine is stored locally next to the music files. 

Repeat this for all of the covers for the albums in the set.

Discart is assigned to each individual album in the same way (Note that Estuary does not show the discart on playback, only the covers).

Finally, press 'back', or click on cancel to close out the choose art dialog. Close the music info dialog and go back to the top view of the set (first screenshot). Now when we open it, the albums look like this.

Finally, this is my personal skin showing cover art & disc art.

Using advancedsettings.xml

If you have some big sets and don't fancy adding all the art manually through the GUI you can set up an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file to pre-load your art when you scan your music into your library.

This is the relevant section from my own AS.xml file
xml:
<musiclibrary>
<artistextraart>
<arttype>banner</arttype>
<arttype>clearart</arttype>
<arttype>clearlogo</arttype>
<arttype>fanart1</arttype> <!-- Multiple fanart -->
<arttype>fanart2</arttype> <!-- Add as many as required. -->
<arttype>fanart3</arttype>
<arttype>fanart4</arttype>
<arttype>fanart5</arttype>
<arttype>fanart6</arttype>
<arttype>fanart7</arttype>
<arttype>fanart8</arttype>
<arttype>fanart9</arttype>
<arttype>fanart10</arttype>
<arttype>fanart11</arttype>
<arttype>landscape</arttype>
</artistextraart>
<albumextraart>
<arttype>back</arttype>
<arttype>discart</arttype>
<arttype>discart1</arttype>
<arttype>discart2</arttype> <!-- multiple discart -->
<arttype>discart3</arttype> <!-- you can add as many as you need -->
<arttype>discart4</arttype>
<arttype>discart5</arttype>
<arttype>discart6</arttype>
<arttype>discart7</arttype>
<arttype>discart8</arttype>
<arttype>discart9</arttype>
<arttype>discart10</arttype>
<arttype>discart11</arttype>
<arttype>discart12</arttype>
<arttype>discart13</arttype>
<arttype>discart14</arttype>
<arttype>discart15</arttype>
<arttype>discart16</arttype>
<arttype>discart17</arttype>
<arttype>discart18</arttype>
<arttype>thumb1</arttype>
<arttype>thumb2</arttype> <!-- multiple thumbs in the same way -->
<arttype>thumb3</arttype>
<arttype>thumb4</arttype>
<arttype>thumb5</arttype>
<arttype>thumb6</arttype>
<arttype>thumb7</arttype>
<arttype>thumb8</arttype>
<arttype>thumb9</arttype>
<arttype>thumb10</arttype>
<arttype>thumb11</arttype>
<arttype>thumb12</arttype>
<arttype>thumb13</arttype>
<arttype>thumb14</arttype>
<arttype>thumb15</arttype>
<arttype>thumb16</arttype>
<arttype>thumb17</arttype>
<arttype>thumb18</arttype>
<arttype>spine</arttype>
</albumextraart>
<itemseparator>;</itemseparator>
</musiclibrary>

Here I have added enough items to cover the largest set that I currently have. Kodi should automatically find and assign the right images to the right discs as it scans your music. Below is a screenshot of the directory containing the queen set, showing how my art is named.

If you have lots of art to add, this is an easier way to get Kodi to load it all when it scans your music rather than using the GUI.

Note for skinners

When viewing the 'discs' the sort method is set to 'disc' (although discs cannot be sorted). This can be leveraged to display the actual disc art instead of the covers. I've done this so opening an album shows me the discs inside and is as close as I can virtually get to actually opening a CD or boxset.

Learning Linux the hard way !!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - by black_eagle - 2020-02-27, 09:47
[split] Singles - by garfield - 2019-10-06, 00:59
RE: [split] Singles - by Harbour - 2022-01-31, 09:15
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature0