Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
I just got mine today. They said between January 21-26. It's the 16th. They win on the shipping front vs promise date.

First impressions. Nice little device. I was surprised that it tells you whether or not it's getting enough power. I tried to plug it into my TV usb port and it told me to take a hike. Plugged into the wall with supplied USB adapter + cable and it's working fine.

I don't do anything heavy, no ultra hd or anything. Just basic Mythtv OTA playback 1080p, dvd rips compressed via Handbrake, 720p video files downloaded from my religious organizations site, and mp3's with the occasional .ogg for music.

It seems to do just fine with my light load. It's in the wife's office for when she starts working from home in a week or so. I had it running for a good while this evening without a hitch. I will say that it only has 4gb of storage on it. By the time I copied my existing Thumbnails folder + advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml I only have 5 or 600 mb left. I'm thinking about looking into path substitution for my thumbnails folder. Not shared with others of course but I have near endless space on my server. Toss it on nfs and call it a day.

For my lightweight usage this thing is a slam dunk. 54 bucks with tax included. Couple that with the other Apps, the wife uses Hulu & Disney+ as well as our local media. I'm curious how it will work without an internet connection though. I'll find out eventually I guess.

*EDIT* The only thing I cannot seem to find is how to disable updates. I don't know if it will auto update or not. This may pose an issue if I / you are trying to stay on a specific Kodi version. In my case I'm not ready to move on to 19 yet so I don't know if it will do it for me.

*EDIT 2* Another thing I've noted. The remote is very limited. Fine for it's intended purpose. I gave it a static ip with my dnsmasq and can use the Kore app with no trouble as needed. Kodi is a bit more involved.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by jmgibson1981 - 2021-01-17, 03:22
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0