tvOS New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote
(2021-06-09, 18:53)noggin Wrote:
(2021-06-09, 11:11)bossanova808 Wrote: I'm curious - if you _do_ have a developer account (which is only $99/yr, so not a massive expense...) - how well does Kodi actually work on the Apple TV 4K?  E.g. HDR, Sound formats, Python support etc?  Not withstanding the install hassle - is it actually a good platform for Kodi (vs. say Coreleec / Odroid N2 )

Because if it is a good Kodi box, that seems like a pretty good solution, if you can deal with the $99/yr side of things, anyway.

In Sound format terms - the Apple TV 4K (either version) doesn't support bit streaming of HD Audio formats like Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master Audio etc., you have to decode them to LPCM 5.1/7.1 (losing metadata). Streaming services that use Dolby Digital + with Atmos work OK, but Dolby True HD with Atmos won't play with Atmos on the platform AIUI.

I am quite ok with LPCM, but at least get HDR working on it. I think bit streaming is over rated. What percentage of Kodi users have surround sound/a/v receiver setups? What about rooms where you don’t have surround sound but you do have an ultraHD TV (because they are so cheap now). I just put one in the basement. That’s just me. I would love it if we can get better video capability with LPCM

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - by ozkhan1 - 2021-06-10, 00:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote0