Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
I'm having problems with Kodi on this device. I run Jellyfin on my desktop PC, and connect to it on Kodi on the Chromecast with Google TV. This works just fine on my local network to my HDR-capable TV - HDR triggers and the video never stops to buffer or anything like that. Everything up to and including 4K remuxes plays just fine, in SDR and HDR10, in x264, and x265.

However, when I run it on another CCwGTV at my dad's place, connecting to my Jellyfin server and plugging the Chromecast into an older (SDR-only) TV, problems arise. 1080p Bluray remuxes play fine. 4K SDR webrips play fine. But 4K remuxes, whether SDR or HDR, those are problematic. 4K SDR remuxes stop to buffer very shortly after pressing play, and after a little bit it starts to buffer indefinitely and never resumes play.
On HDR videos, the whole UI lags out completely and I get the same buffering issue (though it takes a long time because the video/UI itself is lagging). I do not get any option to tonemap to SDR, no matter what video setting I use in the GGwGTV settings nor in Kodi.
So. Is the system incapable of doing HDR tonemapping? And why the heck would it struggle with high-bitrate SDR content over internet but not over local network? (Speed tests on both ends indicate the network performance is way higher than necessary.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by zetruz - 2022-07-28, 16:44
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0