Samsung Smart Evolution Kit - XBMC?
(2013-03-29, 02:08)artrafael Wrote: Not flak, just a difference of opinion. The problem is that people will keep asking, "my (insert device name here) has an on-board computer (and maybe even runs a variation of (insert name here) operating system), so why can't I run XBMC on it? Why can't you guys make a version for (insert device name here) since it would make a killer app for it and (insert device name here) is (going to be) one of the most popular of its kind and you guys will miss out on media center world domination if you ignore it." On the other hand, if you hookup a computing device with supported hardware running standard Android/iOS/Linux/OS X/Windows, then you'll have XBMC running on your TV immediately. No need for lamentations of "will this work?", "why can't I?", "when will you/I?", "why won't you?" because the on-board computer won't run XBMC. So, yes, personally I would still opt for a separate, upgradeable, non-proprietary device to hook up to an AVR or TV.

Just wanted to drop in "a few years later" and state that things turned out the way I hoped and wanted. Most TV vendors dropped their proprietary smart TV OS's and Android is mainstream and runs KODI well enough on modern TV sets.

So I guess everyone wins. TVs can run Kodi natively, but there is also fantastic streaming boxes like the Shield Pro if you want to run externally. I actually have both.

Great time to be alive, happy new years!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Samsung Smart Evolution Kit - XBMC? - by mtjerneld - 2019-12-30, 16:07
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samsung Smart Evolution Kit - XBMC?0