Aggregate media from multiple sources and present them in unified library view
Star 
Proposal: Aggregate media from multiple sources and present them in unified library view

Summary:
Project aims to aggregate remote sources content (for start from UPnP shares or by using xbmc JSON RPC API) and present it as part of unified library. If UPnP share or xbmc instance is discovered in network, metadata could be fetched in background and results cached in local database. Additionally, special plugins could be added to populate library.
How will I achieve this:
Background service that will discover, fetch metadata from UPnP shares and cache it will need to be implemented. Aggregating content from multiple sources will likely results in some duplicates so mechanism to group duplicates.
What will the project focus on:
Most important part of this project is to fetch metadata from remote sources, inspect it and cache it for future quick use. It is critical this feature sould not cause performance hit when browsing library.
Benefits:
It will benefit users with multiple xbmc instances making content sharing much easier.
Goals:
Goal is to aggregate and present metadata from remote shares in simple way without any configuration needed. Subgoals:
- discover and fetch metadata from remote sources
- cache metadata from remote sources
- do housekeeping of cached metadata
What does it touch in XBMC:
This project would require some changes to library databases: mostly adding atributes like source, optional expiration time, etc to media tables. Services to discover remote shares and fetch metodata will need to be implemented.
Requirements:
No special hardware is needed for this project. c++ will be used.

Note: I submitted this proposal before deadline!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3

Messages In This Thread
Aggregate media from multiple sources and present them in unified library view - by pieh - 2013-05-16, 16:47
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aggregate media from multiple sources and present them in unified library view1