Solved Updating Movies sources takes *forever*
a little update:

I did some hrs of performance tests against my NAS from two different computers (a netbook, 100mbit LAN and my PC, 1Gbit LAN)

here are the results (based on the actual nightly build, ~500 movies, at least 2 images for each movies, some contains more images and subtitles):
netbook:
initial import ~ 18min (~1 min scanning all files, ~2 min cleanup, ~14min getting mediainfo of the files)
update without changes ~ 50sec

PC:
initial import ~3min30sec (~15 sec scanning all files, ~6 sec cleanup, ~3min gettting mediainfo)
update without changes ~ 30sec

I did also watch at the task manager while the update run.. getting mediainfo needs some CPU time - that's why the netbook is so much slower than the PC.
And you will also see that getting mediainfo at the first import is a huge task - but when looking at the media information tab (or media files tab) you see the benefit: you always see all relevant informations (resolutions, codes, ...) of every movie file (not only video file - also images, subtitles, extra audio streams..).
And it is no wonder, that tmm takes longer than EMM - we do even more checks/cleanups on every update. We also gather media information from every possible file to create the best possible experience for our users! Such operations need their time.

Coming back to your example - about 600ms for scanning a file on your datasource is really slow! even my netbook on 100mbit is a way faster here (1min / 500 =~120ms per movie). Getting mediainfo the first time is a long lasting task - but that is needed only one time (with our fixes, subtitles are only parsed once).

I hope the next version will improve your updating speeds!

hth
Manuel
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab

Messages In This Thread
RE: - by myron - 2013-10-12, 18:00
RE: - by IceNine - 2013-10-12, 18:33
RE: - by mlaggner - 2013-10-12, 20:42
RE: - by IceNine - 2013-10-13, 03:01
RE: - by mlaggner - 2013-10-13, 09:25
RE: Updating Movies sources takes *forever* - by mlaggner - 2013-10-13, 14:02
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating Movies sources takes *forever*0