MINIX NEO U1: (64bit AMLogic S905 / 10-bit 4K HEVC / HDMI 2.0)
Review updated March 10, 2016

Verdict: B+; based on v006 beta firmware

Overview:

I've always wanted to try a Minix, since the initial X8 release, but never quite did. The recent addition of HD audio and 23.976 pushed me over the fence. I also wanted to see how U1 with AMLogic's S905 SoC would compare with WeTek Core's previous-gen S812 SoC. My thanks to Ken and John at Minix for sending me a U1 unit with A2 Lite remote for review.

Mark, over at AVForums, already did an excellent, detailed review, so you can refer to that, then read mine for further detailed A/V tests and any variances. I only tested via Kodi, mostly via the preinstalled 'XBMC for Minix'.

A note about 3D MVC playback: Minix already let me know this is in the works and not done yet. I tested it, but just be aware it's not supposed to work properly yet. So, it didn't affect the rating.

U1 Design, Remote & UI:

Minix U1 has a larger form factor over Tronsmart S95 and Beelink Mini MX, the other two AMLogic S905 media players I have. But, it feels sturdier, with better build quality. I didn't bother with the included IR remote, opting for the nicer A2 Lite remote instead (must be purchased separately). It's a large remote with big buttons and a full Qwerty keyboard on the flip side (very handy). The A2 Lite's range is very good, and doesn't require a line of sight. It's responsive and fairly intuitive to use. As the A2 Lite is also a gyro remote, you can use it as an airmouse where needed. The A2 Lite gets an 'A' Smile.

The U1 has the same Minix 'Metro' UI (Android launcher) as X8 series. It's simple and easy to use, with the standard remote or the A2 Lite. I may try installing Google's Android TV launcher at a later point.

Photo Gallery:

watch gallery

Performance:

Minix U1 feels snappy and responsive. No lags I could see. This carries into Kodi, with U1 able to keep up browsing large libraries, navigating around. Browsing network shares is snappy as well.

A/V Tests: The part we're all most interested in...

For all these tests, in Android settings, I set 'Digital Audio' to HDMI and display refresh rate to 'Auto'. In XBMC for Minx, I enabled 'Adjust display refresh rate', and 'Enable passthrough' with all HD audio types selected. For my home theater and U1 evaluation set-up, please see link in my signature below.

I haven't yet tested any 4K clips; that's coming up in the next update of this review.
  • [Audio] DD5.1 (640Kbps) = pass
  • [Audio] DD+ 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DD+ 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] TrueHD 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] TrueHD 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] ATMOS = pass (to TrueHD 7.1 as my AVR doesn't support ATMOS, but confirmed by users w/ATMOS AVR's)
  • [Audio] DTS (1.5Mbps) = pass
  • [Audio] DTS HRA 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS HRA 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS-HD MA 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS-HD MA 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS:X = pass (to MA 7.1 as my AVR doesn't support X, but confirmed by a user w/DTS:X AVR)
  • [Audio] AAC 5.1 = fail (passed as DD5.1)
  • [Audio] FLAC 5.1 = fail (passed as DD5.1)
  • [Audio] LPCM 5.1 = fail (passed as DD5.1)
  • [Audio] LPCM 7.1 = fail (passed as DD5.1)
  • [Audio] 96 and 192kHz = my AVR only indicated 'Stereo', and front panel didn't show '96' or '192' as when testing with players that support it
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 (VOB from a DVD rip) = stuttery playback (similar to WeTek Core); displayed at 60.00 by my projector
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 1080i 4:2:0 = perfect playback (displayed at 60.00)
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 1080i 4:2:2 = green pixellated mess, but audio fine (most media players can't play 4:2:2, in MPEG2 at least)
  • [Video] 59.940 MPEG2 720p = perfect playback (displayed at 60.00)
  • [Video] 23.976 1080p H.264 = perfect playback (displayed at proper 23.97)
  • [Video] 24.000 1080p H.264 = perfect playback (displayed at 24.00)
  • [Video] 29.970/60.000 1080p H.264 = perfect playback (displayed at 60.00)
  • [Video] 25.000/50.000 1080p H.264 = perfect playback (displayed at 50.00)
  • [Video] 23.976 1080p VC-1 = judder in playback, which is surprising as S812 WeTek Core has no issues with this
  • [Video] 29.970 1080i VC-1 = judder in playback, similar to S812 WeTek Core, but Core handles it a little better. Again, surprising as I'd have expected S905 to be better than S812 at this
  • [Video] 4K HEVC 50.000 10bit EAC3 7.1 = No audio (slight pops/crackles), with artifacts in video (h/w issue fixed by AML w/S905-H revision C; U1 is revision B)
For audio above, where AAC, FLAC and LPCM were passed (or I should say decoded) as Dolby Digital 5.1, it didn't matter if I selected 'Auto' or 'HDMI' under Abdroid's digital audio settings. If I forced to 'PCM', I go no audio out of these clips. If I disable passthrough in Kodi, then I only get 2.0 stereo these. Per Minix, passthrough of LPCM at least is "Not allowed by the license terms."

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA playback is not buggy; these play perfectly well.

Now for bitrate, subs and full 3D tests...
  • 3D MVC MKV = HOU/TAB output (similar to WeTek Core using wrxtasy's OpenELEC build, and as with other AML S905 boxes)
  • 3D MVC ISO = Same as above (and like above, even the HOU output doesn't look right, with picture elongated, cut off on right side)
  • Forced subtitles = supported
  • Birds clips up to 90Mbps = no issues
  • Jellyfish H.264 clips up to 100Mbps = no issues
  • Jellyfish HEVC clips up to 200Mbps = no issues, but Kodi pre-buffers after 100Mbps before playback (this may or may not be an issue with full H.265 movies with 120-140Mbps bitrates later, assuming we get such 4K movies)

So, I noticed a new VidOn XBMC v15.2.2 was released recently, so curiosity got me, especially as the changelog states "Added the support for Amlogic S812 & S905". Hmmm...
  • 3D MVC MKV = playback in 2D mode
  • 3D MVC ISO = Proper 3D playback (albeit in half-rez as AML SoC can't render in full, frame-packed 3D)
Although VidOn's output is proper 3D, all 3D ISO's display at 60Hz (or whatever your UI is set to) unfortunately. This isn't acceptable. However, VidOn does play 2D 23.976 videos at proper 23.976. Didn't tested HD audio with VidOn as a 'Pro' paid license is necessary and I don't want to monetarily support VidOn. As WeTek and Minix have already added support for HD audio while complying with GPL rules, and as I know both are working in proper MVC output (in 3D mode), it should only be a matter of time. As VidOn has shown it can be done, I expect Minix and WeTek can. After this, any allure of VidOn will be all but gone.

Picture Quality: A-

Support:

Very good support via Minix's own support forum. They don't over-promise and under-deliver like other Chinese manufacturers (Zidoo and Beelink come to mind). Firmware updates seem steady, but paced out (not rushed out like Zidoo did with X6 for example).

Wrap-Up:

The Minix U1 is a very good Android media player for Kodi and home theater use. It's snappy and plays most A/V formats well. It isn't perfect, especially with LPCM and multichannel overall, and with VC-1. MVC 3D only outputs properly with VidOn, but as Minix is working on it, I expect support will be added in a future firmware. And as support is key with media players, we're in reliable hands with Minix as they've proven over the last few years.

Overall, Minix U1 is a pretty good alternative to WeTek Core for those not interested in OpenELEC option (in addition to Android). Core is the better player for now though (my review here), but I expect U1 to improve as firmware matures. I'll update this review after testing 4K and as firmware updates are released.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT

Messages In This Thread
Minix U1 Review - by hdmkv - 2015-12-01, 15:53
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U1: (64bit AMLogic S905 / 10-bit 4K HEVC / HDMI 2.0)2