VidOn XBMC - GPL discussion & compliance analysis.
EDIT - 09.Jan.2016

VidOn official partners:
  • Egreat
  • Tronsmart
http://www.vidon.me/vidon_xbmc.htm

Known Hardware devices distributing VidOn-XBMC:
  • Tronsmart S95
  • VidOn Box
  • Egreat A9
  • (More to come)

This thread started out as my own Open Letter to the Kodi foundation itself with the intention of questioning both VidOn's and MINIX GPL compliance for the custom versions of XBMC they distribute. Both GitHub code sources had been available for a while, but I was unaware of them, yes even after searching. Yes I should have searched harder. My Bad !
That is why the original Open Letter was withdrawn.

The Kodi Trademark was also discussed and VidOn's use of it legally.

Both GitHub code sources were again re-posted in this thread, and at first glance appeared to satisfy GPL XBMC modification and redistribution rules.
MINIX's satisfied the rules as it had been doing so for quite a while already.

However VidOn's did not check out, and this is when senior developers of the XBMC / Kodi project became involved, as they are the Authors of some of the code. (Koying and MrMC aka Davilla).

As a bit of background, MrMC actually originally did the very first Android XBMC port and is fourth on the XBMC / Kodi total commits (additions & coding mods) list, that is the level of experience we are talking about here.

GPL compliance needs some pre-reading before you understand it completely so, distilling it down:
(2016-01-06, 18:27)MrMC Wrote: GPLv2 code calling non-GPL libs.

When in doubt, I tend to look to the intent of GPLv2 ,
1) source code changes public and..
2) you can build and run it. If those pass, then there is no GPLv2 issue worth pursuing. If you review ALL the legal cases that have involved GPLv2 (and I have) 1 and 2 are the prime points of contention.

After a bit of further investigation:
(2016-01-07, 09:45)Koying Wrote: @Wolly (VidOn) Even scratching the details, if a user cannot build a Vidon XBMC apk from your sources, you are SURELY breaking GPL.
That's the whole point of open source, not outdated code browsing.
I also found it was impossible to compile and run successfully the VidOn.apk due to the essential closed source libs residing on VidOns protected servers. These were of course unavailable.

From this post onwards is where the detailed discussion took place:
Commits / changes by VidOn between the base of XBMC 14.x - Helix and the HEAD of VidOn XBMC 14.x - Helix

Experienced Kodi developers, moderators and users are seriously now questioning VidOn's GPL legal compliance status for their distribution of their modified VidOn-XBMC.
Some are even labelling them GPL Violators. Sad

So Warnings need to be provided to potential purchasers of products containing VidOn-XBMC, like the Tronsmart S95.
Support will not be provided here on the Kodi forums due to serious GPL concerns.
Also VidOn XBMC is currently at XBMC version 14.2 when Kodi version 16.x is nearly due for mainstream release.

Then there is also this matter unrelated to GPL.

Kodi Trademark problems contained within messges to joe public displayed as a sales blurb, before you upgrade the standard VidOn XBMC to the Pro version. Sad

A repost:
Quote:Welcome to VidOn Kodi

"VidOn.me offers for Android the most complete and reliable Kodi, with greatly optimized functions and features. On top of the traditional media management function, our Kodi has many unique features like Blu-ray menu navigation, HD audio output, and more."

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/5000...0ecb6a85b9

Messages In This Thread
VidOn XBMC - GPL discussion & compliance analysis. - by wrxtasy - 2015-12-17, 03:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VidOn XBMC - GPL discussion & compliance analysis.4